Conquistare una nuova generazione

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by funkila, Nov 2, 2013.

1. funkila New Member

Italiano
    Hi forum users!
    I have to translate a dj biography and I do need your help to translate this phrase:

YYYY è il suo secondo album per XXXX, un lavoro che fonde ricerca, passione, rigore ma soprattutto vuole essere la sua dichiarazione d’amore a un genere underground che, nonostante le mode del momento, è riuscito nel difficile compito di conquistare una nuova generazione.

this is my version:

YYYY is his second album for XXXX. It combines research, passion, discipline: a sort of declaration to an underground music genre wich has won a new audience generation despite the trend of the moment

any correction or suggest will be appreciated

thank you

2. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Hi funkila - you forgot "d'amore" !! In English, rather than "a declaration of love" we might say, it's a "love letter" but both are OK.

for the last part, I'd say:

..... an underground genre, which has succeeded in the difficult task of winning over a new generation, despite the current trends.

3. MR1492

MR1492 Senior Member

Bowie, MD
    English -USA
    funkila,

Really a very good job of translation. I would recommend just a few minor changes to make it a little more natural (at least in American English). I have noted some ideas in red above.

Phil

EDIT: Thanks, JVF. As always, I like the style of your compositions.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  4. funkila New Member

Italiano
    It sounds perfect now!
    thank you so much!

5. beacher

beacher Senior Member

Everywhere; San Diego; London
    Veneto Dialect and Italian
    hey Phil and Joan,

just a question: wouldn't it flow more natural saying "...to the underground kind of music which.....", instead of genre?

6. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Yes, that works fine. But it would be "an underground kind of music" (to stay faithful to the Italian).

7. beacher

beacher Senior Member

Everywhere; San Diego; London
    Veneto Dialect and Italian