conscientious

< Previous | Next >

leivev

美之大成, 汉语
When people are happy, they tend to give __ interpretations of events they witness: the eye of the beholder is __ by the emotions of the beholder.

a. charitable .. colored.
b. elaborate.. disquieted
c. conscientious.. deceived.
d. vague..sharpened
e. coherent..confused

HI there.

Answer : A my choice . C

I really could not sort out the point and the logic in the sentence, what is the relation between happy and charitable ? and I really think conscientious is a perfect choice here, which means careful, meticulous, you got high, you become more vigilant, right?

Bundles of thanks

Regards

leivev

• luxepiggy

English - USA
    Your choice is incorrect because the two sentences, taken together, would be contradictory. The first sentence would assert that people become conscientious when they are happy (an emotion). The second sentence would then assert that people are deceived by emotions. A person who is being more careful and meticulous than normal is not easily deceived.

e2efour

UK English
    I don't see any connection between happy and conscientious. I would go for elaborate (no. 2), but not with much confidence. My reason would be that if people are happy, they tend to talk too much** -- hence elaborate.
    I'm not sure that we can reach a consensus here.

** too judgemental, I should say talk a lot!

owlman5

English-US
    I would have picked "a", Leivev. Here's why: My first clue was the statement "When people are happy, they..." As soon as I saw this, I looked for the first adjective that fit "happy". Elaborate, conscientious, vague, and coherent don't really go with "happy". When I feel happy, I am generally kind. I want to be nice to people because I feel good. So "charitable" was a good match with "happy". My next clue was easy. "...the eye of the beholder is colored by the emotions". Since "colored" belonged to the same set as "charitable", I was pretty sure these two terms matched. I have often heard others talk of their emotions coloring their experiences. Once I realized that both parts fit, my choice was easy.

When you picked "conscientious" as your first adjective, you picked a quality that really doesn't go well with "happy". People can be conscientious or "serious about fulfilling their duties" even when they are angry. Although the eye of the beholder might possibly be deceived by the beholder's emotions, it is more likely that the beholder's "eye"--his point of view--is affected or "colored" by his feelings.

Last edited:

leivev

美之大成, 汉语
    Thanks owlman,

that make perfect sense, actually I did not quite familiar with the word conscientious and charitable, and I could not see the link between happy and charitable (thanks for the mention that out).

Thanks again

Regards

< Previous | Next >