consequence ignorance

< Previous | Next >

Alladine

French - France
Hello,

Context : describing the television show Judge Judy.
Daughters suing moms for $100, people denying responsibility, consequence ignorance, people wanting rent for free.

Do I need to sleep or what?! I have a problem understanding the grammatical structure of that phrase "consequence ignorance" between commas. Can you help me please? :)
Alladine

• Alladine

French - France
    @london calling - I have read it, it's right here under my eyes (in The millionnaire fastlane, by MJDemarco).
    @hercules - I do think the author considers that these people are ignorant of the consequences of their actions, but how do you get from the sentence given to that meaning?!

london calling

UK English
    Oh, that book with the ungrammatical title in it you asked about yesterday, right. I suggest you avoid reading things by people who can't speak the language. In any case, I think the only interpretation is the one you have been given by HGT.

Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

English - U.S.
    The other 3 phrases describe people who might end up in Judge Judy's court. "Consequence ignorance" doesn't describe people, but (interpreted as I have suggested) it does name a major reason why people end up in court. So I thought it was the most reasonable interpretation in the context.

Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

English - U.S.
    We could understand (some of) the people who end up in court as being "ignorant of consequences". But the phrase as given in the sentence is a nominal, not adjectival. It doesn't describe anyone; it names a characteristic that they have.

Alladine

French - France
    Yes I understand the structure of the sentence is definitely... "dubious". Note that the author's talking about the people in Judge Judy, whose mentality he criticizes: daughters who are able to sue their moms for $100, the people who deny responsibility (for anything?) may do so because they are ignorant of consequences...?

suzi br

English / England
    Yes I understand the structure of the sentence is definitely... "dubious". Note that the author's talking about the people in Judge Judy, whose mentality he criticizes: daughters who are able to sue their moms for $100, the people who deny responsibility (for anything?) may do so because they are ignorant of consequences...?
    I don't think so, there are 4 types of people listed here.
    The "ignorant of consequences" people are the third category of "types" in the list.

< Previous | Next >