consequently/successively/subsequently

< Previous | Next >

makeeverything

chinese-english
At first the institute refused to purchase the telescope, but this decision was consequently/successively/subsequently revised.

Personally, I think the "consequently" have the meaning "afterwards" suitable for the sentence. On the other hand, you all know "successively" means that "following, subsequently", that also mean that "then", it seems reasonable.

The key of exercices said it was "subsequently", I understand it, but why is the other two not reasonable? Is my analysis anything wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • perpend

Banned
    American English
    For me,
    consequently implies some sort of cause and effect
    successively means "one after the other"
    subsequently means "afterwards" / "after the fact", which is the only right answer, in my humble opinion.

makeeverything

chinese-english
    I know that you are absolutely right. And at first I think of this, later I consult the dictionary, then an unexpected outcome come out. " consequently " also have the meaning "afterward" .

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Yes, the Oxford English Dictionary has this meaning for 'consequently':

a.
    In following time or order; consecutively, subsequently. Obs.

However, notice that it has been marked Obs, "obsolete".
    Our dictionary gives the modern meaning: "as a result; therefore"
    Consequently indicates a causal relationship, as perpend says.

makeeverything

chinese-english
    I believe what you said is true , and I have search the word for a long time on the net but I can't find the word meaning which was marked with "obs" . Would you tell me where you found it on the Internet?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I believe what you said is true , and I have search the word for a long time on the net but I can't find the word meaning which was marked with "obs" . Would you tell me where you found it on the Internet?
    I found it in the OED (Oxford English Dictionary). It is on line, but you won't find it by searching the internet because you need a subscription to access it. Many libraries in English-speaking countries have subscriptions, so members of those libraries can access it. That is how I use it.

The OED is the most complete English dictionary. Our forum dictionary is the Concise Oxford English Dictionary which is based on the OED.

Added
    : I see that Beth has found an online source for you. :)

< Previous | Next >