Consequently [therefore] vs. So

hhtt

Turkish
"He never saw any human being for a very long time, and consequently suffered much from lonelyness".

In the original sentence, can we use so, instead of consequently ?

Thank you.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It would be useful to know why you are asking the question. Are you asking if consequently and so are synonyms?

Personally, I would not substitute "so" for "consequently". Consequently is not the main meaning of so.

consequently -> as a result of this
    so -> (i) in that manner (ii) therefore

owlman5

English-US
    You could do that, hhtt, but "so" in that position probably isn't as clear as "consequently".

The meaning would be clearer if you used "so" as a conjunction: He never saw any human being for a long time, so he suffered much from loneliness. The idea of consequence is a little stronger in this version.

Cross-posted with Paul.

hhtt

Turkish
    It would be useful to know why you are asking the question. Are you asking if consequently and so are synonyms?

Personally, I would not substitute "so" for "consequently". Consequently is not the main meaning of so.

consequently -> as a result of this
    so -> (i) in that manner (ii) therefore
    I am asking the question because of that so have a lot of meaning and I have thought that the well-known one, which means thus/therefore, might a synonym of consequently as well.

Thank you.

owlman5

English-US
    I have thought that the well-known one, which means thus/therefore, might a synonym of consequently as well.
    That's a reasonable idea, hhtt. If you'll look above at post #3, I made a suggestion there that you might find useful.

< Previous | Next >