conservation vs regeneration

reka39

Banned
Italian
Hello,
can you explain me the difference between a conservation and a regeneration project? Thank you very much in advance.

• manon33

English - England (Yorkshire)
    Hello,
    can you explain me the difference between a conservation and a regeneration project? Thank you very much in advance.
    Both are designed to 'breathe new life' into an area/place/environment, however, a conservation project saves/rebuilds/renovates what is already there ; a re-generation project may do that, but usually involves new building/design as well.

Last edited:

jonathan.vill

English - Australia
    'Regeneration' also might involve breathing new life into a place by means of a new community centres or through retail outlets, etc., things that bring people out. Areas that need regenerating are usually those old parts of town, quiet and run-down.

'Conservation' is usually under the context of the environment, ie. saving forests. Areas that need conserving are those lush, green pockets of nature, that are being impeded on. 'Conservation' can also be of heritage buildings, really old and histocially important ones.

reka39

Banned
    Italian
    Thank you for making this issue clear. So, if we stuck to the field of architecture, “conservation” is a kind of “restoration”, isn’t it?

jonathan.vill

English - Australia
    I guess. But conservation implies keeping it in it's current state. Restoration implies restoring it to an old state, so in terms of architecture, it also implies that damage has taken place, and restoring it is needed to return it to a previous state.

reka39

Banned
    Italian
    I guess. But conservation implies keeping it in it's current state. Restoration implies restoring it to an old state, so in terms of architecture, it also implies that damage has taken place, and restoring it is needed to return it to a previous state.
    Perfect! Thank you!

< Previous | Next >