consider our friendship of great importance [consider ... of....]

sunyaer

Chinese
Self-made sentence:

"I consider our friendship of great importance."

Is "consider... of" correctly used here? (It seems to me "think ...of" could be a substitute of "consider... of" here?)

I feel that the sentence could be re-written as "I consider our friendship greatly important." Comments?

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    It is used correctly and means "I believe that our friendship is really important."

I don't recommend "I think our friendship of great importance." Although that sentence seems possible to me, it also seems very odd. "Consider" is the idiomatic choice of verb in your sentence.

PS Crossing paths with Benny and DW.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I consider our friendship of great importance.

Is "consider... of" correctly used here?
    Perfectly.

I feel that the sentence could be re-written as "I consider our friendship greatly important."
    I wouldn't use "greatly" with important. "Very" or "extremely" would be better.

chfattouma

Tunisian Arabic
    "I consider our friendship of great importance."

Is "consider... of" correctly used here? (It seems to me "think ...of" could be a substitute of "consider... of" here?)
    In my view, what requires the preposition 'of' here is not the verb 'consider'. Actually, the former is rather correlated with 'great importance' regardless of the verb.

sunyaer

Chinese
    The sentence is OK. Often some form of 'to be' is inserted, "I consider our friendship to be of great importance."

What about these? Are they correct?

1. "I consider our friendship as of great importance."

2. "I consider our friendship as being of great importance."

3. "I consider our friendship as important."

4. "I consider our friendship as being important."

< Previous | Next >