considering his father had just been handed a life sentence

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
A few months after turning professional in 1992, he became the youngest player, at the age of 17, to win a ranking title - the UK Championship.
The feat was all the more amazing considering his father had just been handed a life sentence for murder.

This paragraph talked about ''Ronnie O'Sullivan''.

I cannot understand completely the sentence in red. I think it means:
Compared to his father, Ronnie O'Sullivan' fest is more amazing.

Am I right?

Thanks.

• cycloneviv

English - Australia
    I think it means something like : It is even more amazing that he was able to achieve this, since his father had just been given a life sentence for murder (which would have made such success even more difficult that usual.)

Joelline

American English
    To win a championship at the young age of 17 is amazing. But to win a championship right after your father was sentenced to life imprisonment (because he was a murderer) makes Ronnie's achievement even more amazing.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I think it means:
    Compared to his father, Ronnie O'Sullivan' fest is more amazing.

Am I right?
    No, it does not mean that at all.

First of all, the word "fest" and the word "feat" have nothing to do with each other.

Secondly, no comparison is being made between the Ronnie and his father.

What this sentence means is that Ronnie's "feat" of winning the championship at the age of only 17 years is amazing by itself, but it is even more amazing when one understands that Ronnie did this at the same time that his father was being sentenced to life in prison -- which most boys of that age would find to be a considerable distraction while attempting to win a snooker championship.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Hi, thanks for so prompt reply.:) But I wonder can I leave out ''all the'':

The feat was more amazing considering his father had just been handed a life sentence for murder.

Does it change the original meaning?

< Previous | Next >