Considering his saying A, ...

karlalou

Banned
母国語:日本語
Hi everyone,

This is what I wrote, but is "Considering his saying A and B, this C probably means D" ok?

I got only 3 for "Considering his saying", and only 6 for "Considering his doing" on Google, so I wonder if it's better as "Because he says" or if there's better ways to say the same thing.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I think you are probably right, but it might help if you gave us the complete sentence, rather than using "A," "B," etc.

karlalou

Banned
    OK. Here's what I wrote, and the bold part is my problem.

That can be confusing to even natives, but どうして has two meanings:(なぜ)why; (いかにして)how (出典:E-DIC 英和|和英
    Considering his saying きっとそうします and たらいいでしょう, this どうして probably means 'how' here. It's more commonly どうやって.

karlalou

Banned
    Though I came to think that I probably should have wrote, Considering he is saying ..., I find lots of "Because of his saying".

Does "Considering his saying" sound too unusual?

Myridon

English - US
    I still don't know what the situation is.
    I suspect that you want either "Considering that he said..." or "Considering that he says..." but I have no idea what idea you mean to express. Could you tell us a story about it not using these words at all?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I agree. When I read "considering his saying", I immediately thought "Considering that he says/said" would be better.

But I would prefer "Because he uses A and B, his use of C here probably means D."

Also is he "saying" these things or "writing" them? I would avoid "says" to mean "writes". But I prefer "uses" for this meaning (he chooses to use phrases like A rather than other kinds). People often talk about "words we use in writing" and "words we use in speaking".

karlalou

Banned
    It was about a sentence of a conversation in a novel, but more than that I was just stacked with '-ing' because I was thinking 'his saying'.

Thank you, Myridon and dojibear. I think I got it.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >