considering (on) change

nomnom27

Castellano
Hello, I've been writing a short story about change and I've been having trouble with the word "on" with the following sentence:

Ever since my family, especially my brother, moved to another country they've been changing their mannerisms and conduct toward the new people they meet.
I haven't changed much but I'm having trouble making friends, heck I've even been cosidering on change as well. But I don't know, I'd rather be true to myself.

What I'm trying to say is that I've been thinking of changing myself when I said "considering on change" and I want to know if that's understandable because
when I thought of the phrase "considering on change" it was the first thing that popped into my head naturally, but I've been thinking it over and I don't know if it's
understandable or not. Who knows maybe I'm over thinking it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I corrected most of my post except for the bolded parts, thanks mtmjr.

Last edited:
  • mtmjr

English (US)
    Hello, I've been writing a short story about change and I've been having trouble with the word "on" with the following sentence:

Ever since my family, especially my brother, moved to another country they've been changing their mannerisms and conduct toward the new people they meet. I've haven't changed much but I'm having trouble making friends, heck I've even been considering on changing as well. But I don't know, I'd rather be true to myself.

What I'm trying to say is that I've been thinking of changing myself when I said "considering on change" and I want to know if that's understandable because when I thought of the phrase "considering on change" it was the first thing that popped into my head naturally, but I've been thinking it over and I don't know if it's understandable or not. Who knows maybe I'm over thinking it.
    "On" is definitely inappropriate in most circumstances following "change." I actually prefer the way you phrased it in your description after the quote, "I've been thinking of changing myself." I'm not 100% clear on the grammatical reason why it must be "changing" after "considering" in your sentence, but I suspect it is because you've already got a conjugated verb in the sentence (have been), thus any verbal forms following must actually be nominal (a gerund). I could be wrong on that, but I can guarantee that it should not be left as "change" here.

I will note that in your sentence, "considering change" is grammatically correct, but it has a different meaning. It's more abstract - you're considering the concept of change...which isn't what you mean to say here.

I made some other edits too...be careful with the tenses and conjugations:)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello nomnom27. :)

We don't use "on" with considering. We might say, "I have even been considering change as well. But I don't know, I rather be true to myself."

That gives the impression that you are thinking about change in general. If you are thinking about changing yourself, you might say "I have even been considering changing as well. But I don't know, I rather be true to myself" or "I have even been considering changing myself as well. But I don't know, I rather be true to myself."

Added: Cross-posted with mtmjr. :)

nomnom27

Castellano
    Hello nomnom27. :)

We don't use "on" with considering. We might say, "I have even been considering change as well. But I don't know, I rather be true to myself."

That gives the impression that you are thinking about change in general. If you are thinking about changing yourself, you might say "I have even been considering changing as well. But I don't know, I rather be true to myself" or "I have even been considering changing myself as well. But I don't know, I rather be true to myself."

Added: Cross-posted with mtmjr. :)
    Thanks Cagey, now I have a follow up question: Is "I have even been considering of changing myself..." also acceptable?

< Previous | Next >