consigned to wine and dine handsome officials

chopin7

Albanian
Hello

Movie "Murder on the Orient Express".
Some Poirot friend is saying to him,
"I ride on the Orient Express at seven, official director business.
Uncle pays me absurdly to stay onboard his gorgeous train and far away from him at the home office
consigned to wine and dine handsome officials for all eternity.
There is an art to nepotism."

I am not so sure about this.
So, is he saying that handsome officials treat his uncle lavishly at the Home Office?
Is that it?

Thank you

• sdgraham

USA English
    "consigned to wine and dine handsome officials for all eternity."

It seems to mean that "Some Poirot friend's" only job is to entertain officials on the train, thus keeping him away from the office.

suzi br

English / England
    It is funny because “consigned” is often collocated in negative phrases. Wining and dining handsome people doesn’t really sound too bad, but obviously the character feels hard-done to.
    I guess anything can seem tiresome if it’s not your own chioce.

Barque

Tamil
    To "wine and dine" is to entertain someone, take them out for meals and drinks etc.

It literally means "to provide drink and food to" but it may not always be limited to food and drink. It implies making sure the person has a good time.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    "I ride on the Orient Express at seven, official director business.
    Uncle pays me absurdly to stay onboard his gorgeous train and far away from him at the home office
    consigned to wine and dine handsome officials for all eternity.
    There is an art to nepotism."

I am not so sure about this.
    So, is he saying that handsome officials treat his uncle lavishly at the Home Office?
    Is that it?
    It says that he is to wine and dine the officials, not that the officials will wine and dine somebody.

< Previous | Next >