consists of a shirt collar and a pair of spurs

enkidu68

turkish
Hi folks, this is cited from Redburn by Hermann Melville (1849)
Question: Rangers are people who wait for forests or park in USA as far as I know. So does this sentence mean “they ride on a horse and and wear an uniform, a shirt with a collar?

So in addition to the clothes I had brought from home, I had only bought a red shirt, a tarpaulin hat, and a belt and knife, as I have previously related, which gave me a sea outfit, something like the Texan rangers', whose uniform, they say, consists of a shirt collar and a pair of spurs

• Loob

English UK
    The idea seems to be that Texas Rangers didn't really have a uniform - the only items which were common to all Rangers were (a) a shirt collar and (b) spurs.

It does appear to be true that there was originally no Texas Rangers uniform. From Texas Ranger Dress Regulations - Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum

The distinctive western dress of the Texas Rangers has evolved over two centuries. From 1823 through the 1880s, Rangers wore a wide variety of frontier clothing suited to life on horseback. There were no State clothing allowances, so each man wore what he had and what he knew would work under harsh frontier conditions.​

Myridon

English - US
    Rangers are people who wait for forests or park in USA as far as I know.
    Park ranger - Wikipedia
    A park ranger, park warden, or forest ranger is a person entrusted with protecting and preserving parklands – national, state, provincial, or local parks
    Texas Ranger Division - Wikipedia
    The Texas Ranger Division, commonly called the Texas Rangers ... is a U.S statewide investigative law enforcement agency with statewide jurisdiction in Texas, based in the capital city of Austin.
    The quote is about the members of the law enforcement agency.

< Previous | Next >