cons'ly [contracted pronunciation of 'constantly']

< Previous | Next >

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
This, I think, happens in American English, but is 'constantly' pronounced much like "cons'ly" sometimes? I have a friend of mine who says the word as if there were no 'tant' in between when she speaks pretty fast. She is from the Midwest of the U.S., for your information.

Hiro

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    It also doesn't register on my radar screen. I'm also from the Midwest.

The Midwest is quite large, though, and there are various dialects within the region.

If she's a good enough friend, I'd ask in a friendly way why she pronounces it like that. :)

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    I don't think it's so unusual. When people speak fast, they sometimes elide sounds and skip over syllables.
    She may be pronouncing an unstressed vowel (a schwa) between the cons- and the -ly, but you only hear two syllables.

I've heard people pronounce "Social Security" as so-security, so anything is possible.

HSS

Now that I think back, I recall she has a swallowed residual pronunciation of 'tant.' But it's so faint it almost equals nothing. But then again there is a split second for, I think, that.

HSS

And me of "reg'ly" for "regularly." Thanks for your enlightenment and discussion, all. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >