Consorzio di bonifica

PulpFiction

Italy, Italian
Hy guys,

I was wondering if someone can help me to traslate this:
Consorzio di Bonifica.
Si trattta di un ente pubblico, ma non so se esista un equivalente in inglese, a me interesserebbe sia una traduzione letterale dell'ente sia sapere se esiste un ente inglese equivalente.

Thanks for helping me buddies.

• Einstein

UK, English
    La traduzione di ente è authority, mentre bonifica è di solito reclamation. Dipende poi dal contesto; si tratta di un terreno? Direi allora Land reclamation authority.

GavinW

British English
    Da Wikipedia, l'enciclopedia libera:

Il Consorzio di bonifica è un ente pubblico che coordina interventi pubblici e controlla l'attività dei privati sulla bonifica del territorio di competenza. Opere di questo genere riguardano, ad esempio, la sicurezza idraulica, la gestione delle acque destinate all'irrigazione, la partecipazione ad opere urbanistiche, ma anche la tutela del patrimonio ambientale e agricolo.

But I don't know how to say this in English! "Land reclamation consortiums/boards"? Maybe "land management consortiums" would be more descriptive and accurate.

Einstein

UK, English
    I din't know whether to say "reclamation" or "management"; probably "reclamation". I don't think there's an equivalent in GB because we don't have a river like the Po; maybe in the US there's something similar. For "ente pubblica" I'd say "authority", but if you want to use "consortium" I'd say that the Latin plural "consortia" is more likely (but I haven't checked).

Haven't seen you for a while, Gavin:).

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Hallo both of you:) Here it is translated with "Land reclamation and drainage authority" (in agreement with Einstein suggestion!). Maybe you have already seen it, but just in case...And here it translates with "Consortium Authority for Land Reclamation". Both are translated from Italian, but they seem to be reliable.

Last edited:

Einstein

UK, English
    I forgot to read my earlier reply of more than 4 years ago:eek: but it seems my opinion hasn't changed. I'm glad to see your link, Lo:), but it's not a good proof that I'm right; the English could be better!:D

duma

UK, English
    Does anyone know if "Consorzio di bonifica delle acque" (for example in Piacenza) would also be something like "land reclamation consortium/authority"? Or would it be "water reclamation consortium/authority"? Any ideas very gratefully received!

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    No, I'm afraid "reclamation" (or "purification") only will not work here:eek:. If we read the description posted by Gavin (post #4) we can realize that the scope of work of a "Consorzio di bonifica delle acque" is much broader than its name suggests and covers design and construction of water infrastructures, environment protection, development of territory plans etc. As you said in post #5, I don't think we have an exact equivalent to that.
    My 2 cents.

duma

UK, English
    So maybe something like "land reclamation and water consortium/authority"?
    The Consorzio di bonifica delle acque di Piacenza has the following activities listed on its website:
    La bonifica di pianura
    La bonifica di montagna
    Irrigazione
    La gestione delle acque
    [/LIST]

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    So maybe something like "land reclamation and water consortium/authority"?
    The Consorzio di bonifica delle acque di Piacenza has the following activities listed on its website:
    La bonifica di pianura
    La bonifica di montagna
    Irrigazione
    La gestione delle acque
    [/LIST]
    Anything goes as long as it reflects the original meaning and is correcly understood in the target language (English in this case). So, I'll leave it to you (and your fellow native speakers) to find out the best translation:)

< Previous | Next >