constatazione comune

alfredos

English
Hello, I was trying to answer a question in Yahoo Answers Italia pertaining to the Chicken and the Egg paradox. The questioner also asked what this phrase meant in English. I have not idea, but when I google it in Italian the chicken/egg question keeps coming up also.

Does "costatazione commune" mean something like "common knowledge" or "public consensus"?

Last edited:
  • Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Hi Alfredos, welcome to the forum.

Please provide us with a full sentence in Italian. Thanks

alfredos

English
    Allora, ho visto questa frase, "L'illogicità del paradosso si basa sulla semplice constatazione comune che le galline depongono le uova", ma non riesco a tradurre in inglese "constatazione comune". Io direi: "public consensus" o "public opinion" oppure "common knowledge". Is there a phrase used today in English that corresponds more or less to this one?

london calling

UK English
    Here it does mean that people have taken cognisance of the fact that chickens lay eggs, so it's common knowledge, as alfredos says..:) I think I'd change the sentence around:

It is common knowledge that chickens lay eggs. Herein lies the illogicalness (illogicality) of the paradox.;)

< Previous | Next >