Constitución/Complexión delgada

< Previous | Next >

riuryK

Español - España
Hi everyone,

Could anybody help me with this? I want to refer to a person apparently short, slim, weak... "de complexión delgada" in Spanish. I don't know the term in English.

"Slim/Thin constitution"??

Thanks in advance.

• blinkgirl

Spanish - Argentina
    I´ve heard of the expression "weak constitution", it means you have a weak stomach. The right translation for "complexión" es "constitution" and I also found "build" as a noun, meaning "complexión" too. I haven´t found anything about the adjectives that can precede the noun.

Lamemoor

Peru - Spanish
    I´ve heard of the expression "weak constitution", it means you have a weak stomach. The right translation for "complexión" es "constitution" and I also found "build" as a noun, meaning "complexión" too. I haven´t found anything about the adjectives that can precede the noun.

Encontré esto:
    IN BRIEF: The appearance of facial skin.

complexion: Complexion refers to the natural color, texture, and appearance of the skin, especially that of the face. The word is derived from the Late Latin complexi, which initially referred in general terms to a combination of things, and later in physiological terms, to the balance of humors.
    1. The natural color, texture, and appearance of the skin, especially of the face.
    2. General character, aspect, or appearance: findings that will alter the complexion of the problem.
    3. A viewpoint, inclination, or attitude: a conservative political complexion.
    4. The combination of the four humors of cold, heat, moistness, and dryness in specific proportions, thought in ancient and medieval physiology to control the temperament and the constitution of the body.

Lamemoor

Peru - Spanish
    Hi everyone,

Could anybody help me with this? I want to refer to a person apparently short, slim, weak... "de complexión delgada" in Spanish. I don't know the term in English.

"Slim/Thin constitution"??

Thanks in advance.
    Constitut¡on:
    The general makeup of the body as determined by genetic, physiologic, and biochemical factors. An individual’s constitution may be markedly influenced by environment.

Malbecblend

English (United States)
    For complexión delgada, I would say thin build.
    Similarly, complexión mediana would be medium build.
    Constitution may be okay, but definitely not something you would normally hear in conversation.

(I know this response comes 11 years late, but I was just looking at the definition of complexión, came across this thread, and thought I'd add something here for possible future reference.)

Malbecblend

English (United States)
    I hadn't thought of that, but I agree.
    But sometimes, depending on the context, one word is more common than the other. For example, one would be more likely to say about someone, that he or she has a nice physique rather than he or she has a nice build. Saying he or she has a nice build is okay, but just not as common. As another example, if you're trying to give a general description of someone, to the police for example, you'd more likely say the suspect is tall, medium build, young, etc. In that second example, medium physique sounds less natural. I think of physique more in terms of figure.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >