Constructor vs builder

sissimc

Italian
Hi,

Could anyone please tell what the difference is between "constructor" and "builder", if there is one.

Thank you,

Sissi

• rrose17

Canada, English
    To be honest I've never heard someone called a constructor. If you are referring to someone who works in construction and builds houses they are called a builder or a building contractor or very often, simply, a contractor.

Spiritoso78

Italian
    Hi,

by agreeing with rrose's explanation, the only word similar or nearly close to "construction" is manufacturer; even my dictionary doesn't mention the noun "constructor".

sissimc

Italian
    Thank you both for your explanations. Is there any difference between "builder" and "building contractor" then in what they actually do?

beccamutt

English - US
    Since "constructor" (which does exist although is never used) and "manufacturer" are two VERY different things, why don't we ask sissmic for the context? Where did you hear this word? What are you trying to say (in Italian please).

Spiritoso78

Italian
    ciao,

rimanendo nell'edilizia, il builder è l'impresario/o costruttore, mentre il builder contractor sarebbe l'appaltatore.

Vediamo cosa ci può aggiungere rrose!

sissimc

Italian
    Lavoro per un architetto e dobbiamo redigere dei contratti in inglese per i quali vorrei essere sicura di usare i termini giusti perciò mi chiedevo se "builder" si usa piuttosto per i muratori e "constructor", o "building contractor", per indicare l'azienda responsabile dei lavori.

rrose17

Canada, English
    Not really. A builder is perhaps a more general term, it can apply to other things than simply a builder of houses, while a building contractor is more specific. If you wanted someone do some construction on your house you would call a building contractor.