consultant vs advisor

frenchaudrey

French, France
Hi

I am to translate these two terms into French but I cannot see the difference between the two.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

• kayokid

English, USA
    Hello.
    I can see that on the surface both look pretty much the same. Maybe you have to look at what each one does to help clarify the usage. For example, a consultant is often someone who works for a business or firm and an advisor can be a term for someone who advises students on their studies (academic advisor). In terms of financial planning I have heard both financial consultant and financial advisor.

frenchaudrey

French, France
    Thanks for your answer

Since these two words are just written in a row without further details, I don't know what they refers to, but since you also seem to think that they mean the same think in a financial context, I may keep just only one :)

timpeac

English (England)
    frenchaudrey said:
    Thanks for your answer

Since these two words are just written in a row without further details, I don't know what they refers to, but since you also seem to think that they mean the same think in a financial context, I may keep just only one :)
    There is a specific job of "financial advisor" who will give you advice, usually on a personal level, on things like pensions, mortgages, life insurance, investments etc. Elsewhere in business people are normally "consultants" no matter what the area - devising a new financial structure for the company, considering out-sourcing some departments, installing a new computer system etc.