consumable appliance/module

< Previous | Next >

OldParrot

Japanese
Hi, all. I'm back!

Could anybody help me with the term "consumable," used with something that is not so easy to consume?

I consulted a dictionary, but the definition, "able to be eaten or ingested", may not be acceptable for the three examples below. I guess that consuming appliances would be very hard.

ex.1. They are providing simple and consumable appliances,

ex.2. An electrically operated consumable module to be inserted into a holder of an electronic appliance, ....

ex.3. The patients were issued non-consumable rehabilitation appliances, ....

I appreciate if anybody give me another definition or synonym of it.
Thanks in advance.

OldParrot

• Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Consumable not only refers to things that can be eaten but also to things which can be used them up, so that they cannot be used again, e.g. a camera film or ink. So, when you have a consumables budget it is not money for food, but rather money for things such as ink and paper.

So, I think this meaning makes sense for your first two examples, but it's a bit weird in the 3rd one....I guess it could still be used there though. The person who wrote the third sentence needs to read the Plain English Campaign website! :D

Davidvs91

English - American
    Consumable not only refers to things that can be eaten but also to things which can be used them up, so that they cannot be used again, e.g. a camera film or ink. So, when you have a consumables budget it is not money for food, but rather money for things such as ink and paper.

So, I think this meaning makes sense for your first two examples, but it's a bit weird in the 3rd one....I guess it could still be used there though. The person who wrote the third sentence needs to read the Plain English Campaign website! :D
    For the third example, it would refer to rehabilitation appliances such as wheelchairs or assisted-breathing machines. These are often referred to as "durable medical equipment" (DME) in AE.

OldParrot

Japanese
    Hi, Tegs and Davidvs91.

Thank you very much for your replies:). I understand that "consumable" is used for something you can use, and it will go away after you use it.
    I also understand that "non-consumable" may mean "durable."

I saw another example of consumable appliance in a website (they surely used the term "consumable" in the text, but unfortunately, I cannot remember its exact sentence), and it was a network device with the size of pizza box (or bigger maybe), made of steel (maybe), installed in a server rack, priced about $65,000, and looked so durable.
    Is there any other definitions of consumable other than something I can use up:confused:?
    Any suggestion may help. Thanks in advance again!

OldParrot

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Consumables in the plural means goods that can be bought and sold, but you see it in the plural form when it's used in that sense, not the singular. I'm afraid I can't think of anything else. :)

OldParrot

Japanese
    Hi, Tegs. I appreciate your additional input for me.

Umm, I should really remember that exact sentence. It was somethig like: product X is consumable, specialized, and easy-to-use something, something.
    I am going back to Google and seach again to find if it was plural or singlar.

Thank you again, Tegs.

OldParrot

Matching Mole

England, English
    I find this usage of consumable rather strange. If the context is that an otherwise durable item is considered "consumable" then it would make sense. Here is an authentic example of what I mean:
    I guess as long as you regard it as a "consumable" appliance.... to be used and abused until chucked [...]
    However, in the topic text it doesn't seem to mean this. I wonder if it is an adoption of the term to means something else. E.g. for use by "consumers" (e.g. for use in the home, rather than for professional use). I can see a few examples on the web where this seems to be meant. To me it sounds inappropriate, or even an error.

In this context I would say "consumer appliance". An appliance intended for the "end user" as they say in computing.

In the UK an electricity distribution board installed in the home is called a "consumer unit", because it is on the consumer's side of the electricity system, is their responsibility and is owned by them.

OldParrot

Japanese
    Hello, Matching Mole (I love your photo!).

Thank you for your suggestion. I think I can see what you mean. A consumable thing may be used and used, until it die away... am I correct? It somehow makes sence: you can use the product X fully and completely, until it breaks. (Maybe it is very durable;))

It is around one in morning, and I will come back later.
    Thank you again, Matching Mole.

OldParrot

Matching Mole

England, English
    Yes, you are correct about a consumable item in general. Actually, on re-reading the topic text, I think it does mean that the item, although not quite in the category of a battery or light bulb, does wear out in some way, and can be replaced. Particularly the one said to fit in a holder (which reminds me of a light bulb, which is a consumable).

However, some of the other usages are not necessarily meant in that way.

OldParrot

Japanese
    Hi, Matching Mole.

Thank you for your confirmation. I finally understand that a consumable module/appliance is something you can use and use, fully and completely, until it breaks: even if it is priced $65,000 or looks so durable, it does not matter.

I appreciate everybody who helped me with this topic. Thank you!

OldParrot

< Previous | Next >