contacts AAA Security <which is> triggered by ...

Bigtime

Arabic
I wrote:

The system automatically contacts AAA Security which is triggered by sound or motion.
The system automatically contacts AAA Security, triggered by sound or motion.

Can I replace "which is" with a comma since we're referring to the same Subject "The system"?
My original thought was:
The system automatically contacts AAA Security. It is triggered by sound or motion.

Thanks.
BT

• e2efour

UK English
    The which in the first sentence can only refer to AAA Security. If the system is triggered, you could write "AAA Security and is triggered.......".

The triggered in sentence two refers to the system.

Bigtime

Arabic
    Thanks e2efour,
    when I say:
    The system automatically contacts AAA Security which it is triggered by sound or motion.
    Would "it" refer to the system?
    Thanks again.

e2efour

UK English
    Which it makes no sense unless which is the object of the clause starting with it. What do you want which to be the object of?
    Can you say what is triggered. Is it the system or AAA Security?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Bigtime, "which it is" is not a construction that's ever used. You need to use "which" or "it" as the subject of a verb, not both together.

Copyright

American English
    Bigtime, "which it is" is not a construction that's ever used. You need to use "which" or "it" as the subject of a verb, not both together.
    "which it is" has its uses, so I wouldn't be quite so firm in discarding it altogether ... perhaps just in this case.

It also is generally assumed that the speed of light is isotropic, meaning that it has the same value regardless of the direction in which it is measured. (Wikipedia, Speed of light)

Victor Hugo:
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.” (Source: GoodReads)

A: Is that really true?
    B: I said it was true, which it is, but if you'd like me to prove it, I can.

Bigtime

Arabic
    I think I got it now.
    If I left the sentence as it was originally can I omit the comma from it and still clear understanding?
    The system automatically contacts AAA Security, triggered by sound or motion.
    The system automatically contacts AAA Security triggered by sound or motion.

sdgraham

USA English
    You still have the problem that it looks like you're saying that AAA Security is triggered by sound or motion. Try changing your word order to make it clear that the statement depends upon the system being triggered by sound or motion.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    In reply to post #6: You're right; my statement was too sweeping. I should have said that they can't be used in tandem as the subject of a verb.

Bigtime

Arabic
    Thank you all so much for being patient to clarify one of my BIGGEST obstacles in grammar.
    The problem that I have when I want to connect the second clause referring to the first subject of the first sentence, but with your all help, I will over come this.

The system automatically contacts AAA Security. It is triggered by sound or motion.
    Based on your comments, I will rewrite the sentence as:
    The system that automatically contacts AAA Security is triggered by sound or motion.
    The system automatically contacting AAA Security is triggered by sound or motion.
    The system, triggered by sound or motion, is automatically contacts AAA Security.
    BT

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Based on your comments, I will rewrite the sentence as:
    The system that automatically contacts AAA Security is triggered by sound or motion.:thumbsup:
    The system automatically contacting AAA Security is triggered by sound or motion.:thumbsup:
    The system, triggered by sound or motion, is automatically contacts AAA Security.
    In your third version, the verb is simply contacts, not "is contacts".

Bigtime

Arabic
    Truly, thank you all very much. Without all the help that I get in this forum, my writing will still be poor.

< Previous | Next >