contain their passion

< Previous | Next >

Hiro Sasaki

Banned
Japan, Japanese
Do you say "contain one's passion " ??

Hiro Sasaki

"Both Prince Ôama no Ôji ( later emperor Tenmu ) and crown prince Naka no Ôe no Ôji ( later emperor Tenji ) were eminent statesmen. Always calm in their political decisions. They were uncapable, however, to contain their passion / to resist the charm of women. / or .......??

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    "Contain their passion" does not sound right to me here. First of all, the word "passion" is not a synonym for "lust". Secondly, "contain" in this context sounds odd.

I prefer "They were incapable of resisting the charms of women."

Packard

USA, English
    Whenever I am approached by a beautiful woman of enchanting physical charms, I am likely to say,

"Good day madame. Luckily I am a man that is able to control his passions, otherwise I would have swept you off your feet by now and made mad, passionate love to you."

I think "control" is the operative word here. If one does not feel the passions, there is no need to control them. If they do feel those passions, then the need arises. Controlling passions is not the same as containing them.

"Controlling" means you do with those passions what you decide to do. The passions do not control you.

"Containing" is a narrowly defined operative of control. It prevents the passions from being operative, instead of controlling how or when they are operative.

Hiro Sasaki

Banned
    Japan, Japanese
    Whenever I am approached by a beautiful woman of enchanting physical charms, I am likely to say,

"Good day madame. Luckily I am a man that is able to control his passions, otherwise I would have swept you off your feet by now and made mad, passionate love to you."

I think "control" is the operative word here. If one does not feel the passions, there is no need to control them. If they do feel those passions, then the need arises. Controlling passions is not the same as containing them.

"Controlling" means you do with those passions what you decide to do. The passions do not control you.

"Containing" is a narrowly defined operative of control. It prevents the passions from being operative, instead of controlling how or when they are operative.
    Thank you pachard

Hiro Sasaki

< Previous | Next >