contemporaneamente

spero

english (USA)
I'm having trouble translating this sentence, possibly because "contemporaneamente" is giving me problems. Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track? I really am not pleased with my translation. Thanks.

Italian:
X è un regista che viene dall’arte, quindi struttura il documentario contemporaneamente a una ricerca visiva per trovare in parallelo contenuto e forma.

English:
X is a director with a background in art and will thus structure the documentary as he carries out visual research in order to bring form and content together.

• Einstein

UK, English
    You could say "simultaneously with a visual research..." or "at the same time as he carries out..."
    I'm sure there are other possibilities.

spero

english (USA)
    So..."at the same time he carries out" is correct.

However, in your first response, it would probably be better to say "a visual research project" as research is uncountable and cannot have an article. Thus it is incorrect to say, "a visual research".

Thanks!

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    This is one of the sentences that I look at, and look at, and still can't see a perfect solution.
    I wonder if the "contemporaneamente" refers not to "documentario" but rather to "contenuto e forma" and is just used to emphasize "parallel".

X è un regista che viene dall’arte,
    quindi struttura il documentario contemporaneamente
    a una ricerca visiva per trovare in parallelo contenuto e forma.

Perhaps a bit too literal:
    X is a director who comes from the arts,
    and thus structures the documentary as a visual search to find form and content simultaneously.

Let's see what others might say.

pattyfashiion

italian-italia
    X is a director coming from the art/ with a background in the art, so he structures the documentary at once with a visual/sight reserch so as to bring both/with the aim of bringing both/gathering both form and content.

Hope it helps...

clavicordo

italian
    Una ricerca del genere poteva essere condotta solo in collaborazione con esperti, ecc." - quindi could.

Se invece dici "this research", mi suona come una necessità. "Questa ricerca doveva essere condotta [necessariamente] in collaborazione con esperti, ecc." - quindi should o have to." . Thus it seems that "research" is countable, as it has the article "a".
    ". Can anyone explain this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Una ricerca del genere poteva essere condotta solo in collaborazione con esperti, ecc." - quindi could.

Se invece dici "this research", mi suona come una necessità.
    "Questa ricerca doveva essere condotta [necessariamente]
    in collaborazione con esperti, ecc." - quindi should o have to."
    Thus it seems that "research" is countable,
    as it has the article "a".
    Can anyone explain this problem?

In English there are many ways this might be handled, but "research" by itself is uncountable.
    You can make it countable by changing it to "research project(s)".

Research of this type should only be conducted in collaboration with experts.
    .................that.....
    Research of this type must only be conducted...
    Research of this type has to be conducted...
    This research should only be conducted...
    This research must only be conducted...
    A research project of this type...
    Research projects of this type...

I can't think of a way to use "A research..." by itself.