contención

SylviaF

English/French
Hi,
I'm stuck for an English translation of the Spanish word "contencion". It comes up in the name of a new type of family allowance in Argentina, called the "Subsidio de Contencion Familiar por fallecimiento". All I can find in the dictionary is various equivalents for "containment" but I feel that in this context "family support allowance" might be more appropriate.
Your help would be much appreciated!
SylviaF

• RADIRO

Hi dear,

The term contención in the acception you’re suggesting is utterly unknown to me.
    The Royal Spanish Academy Dictionary defines contención as:
    I.- Acción y efecto de contener.
    II.- contención2. (Del lat. contentĭo, de contendĕre, disputar).
    a) Der (Law). Litigio trabado entre partes.
    b) f. Desus (out of date). Contienda, disputa entre varios.
    c). f. ant., Esfuerzo, conato.

I couldn’t find any solution in a dictionary on specific argentinian words and significances http://www.geocities.com/idioma_argentino/dic_arg_esp.html.

So you should wait from someone from Argentina to help you.
    Sorry.

RADIRO

On second thoughts, contención could mean the neccessity to contain or restrain the family need arisen from the death of a family member as the father or mother. So you're translation is perfectly sound and sensible. Anyway it's a rather twisted way to exprees it.

SylviaF

English/French
    Hi Radiro,
    Thank you so much for going to all that trouble. Your reasoning sounds good, you've confirmed what I found out and it's a comfort to know that I'm not the only one having difficulty ! Maybe someone from the other side of the world will come up with something later.
    All the best,
    Sylvia

PS and I agree that it's very twisted, though my Spanish is not really good enough for me to make that kind of comment unaided !

dauda98

United States
    This is a hard one because the systems are different. The US government gives financial support for a death in the family, if you are eligible. This is done through the Social Security Department and it is called "Survivor's benefits". I don't know if that would be too regional an expression for you to use.

What I can suggest though is not to use the term allowance. Try better: government aid, financial aid, government assistance, etc.

SylviaF

English/French
    Hi dauda,
    Thank you for your suggestions. "Survivor's benefit(s)" is not too regional a term, but it doesn't quite fit the bill here. It's used for social insurance payments usually provided in the form of a weekly or monthly benefit paid regularly over a relatively long period to orphans, widows/widowers etc. following the death of their bread-winner, while the Argentinian "contencion" is a special one-off payment to cover funeral expenses. It's a difficult phrase to translate.
    If you have any other ideas please don't hesitate - I'm still looking !
    Regards,
    Sylvia

RADIRO

En España se llama "Ayuda Económica por Fallecimiento" o "Ayuda para Gastos de Sepelio" dependiendo de la rama de la Seguridad Social.

Look up these links http://www.mde.es/eadmon/ISFAS/Ayudaporfallecimiento.pdf

or page 25 in

http://www.fspugtgalicia.org/justicia/mutualidad/Manual_del_Mutualista.pdf

No obstante, es muy posible que mi querida y silente Dauda tenga razón y se trate de una prestación o ayuda de tracto sucesivo (periódica). Creo que seguimos necesitando a un argentino.

Saludos.

tiorami

Argentina-Spanish
    Hi,
    I'm stuck for an English translation of the Spanish word "contencion". It comes up in the name of a new type of family allowance in Argentina, called the "Subsidio de Contencion Familiar por fallecimiento". All I can find in the dictionary is various equivalents for "containment" but I feel that in this context "family support allowance" might be more appropriate.
    Your help would be much appreciated!
    SylviaF
    Hi Sylvia.
    I guess you should think of something like "protection" or "support". I don't believe "Contención" in that title refers to any legal institution. An example of the use of "Contener" would be, if a friend of yours is crying because something bad has happened to him/her, you can "Contener" him or her, by listening to, embrace, stay with him or her. I can't think of an exact match in English, but I hope the idea helps you!

SylviaF

English/French
    Hi tiorami,
    Welcome to the Forum, and many thanks for your comment - it's always a good idea to round off a thread whenever possible, and in this case your advice is invaluable.
    Best regards,
    SylviaF

< Previous | Next >