continentaux de versant

< Previous | Next >

sweetapples

English
Hi everyone,

I am struggling with part of a sentence from a text about geology. I understand the words individually (I think) but together I am very unsure about what the sentence means, in particular "continentaux de versant".

"Chaque membre correspond à l’enregistrement d’un cycle sédimentaire ou séquence unitaire qui est caractérisée par un enchaînement vertical de faciès génétiquement liés, succession verticale et temporelle d’environnements sédimentaires intertidaux associés à un paléorivage, puis supratidaux et dunaires ou continentaux de versant"

My attempt:

"...A vertical and temporal succession of intertidal sedimentary environments associated with a paleoshoreline and then with supratidal and dunal or continental sloping."

or is it

"...A vertical and temporal succession of intertidal sedimentary environments associated with a paleoshoreline and then supratidal or dunal successions or continental sloping??"

Or neither?

Please help! thanks!

• mehoul

french
    I think that "continentaux" qualifies "environnements". There are three kinds of environments : intertidal, supratidal and continental. The continental sediments are "de versant" that is, from hill slopes, as opposed to flood plains for example.

sweetapples

English
    Thanks, that does make sense but I am still confused about the wording on that last part of the sentence so here is my renewed attempt:

"...a succession of vertical and temporal sedimentary environments originating from hillslope processes including intertidal sediments, which are associated with a paleoshoreline, followed by supratidal and dunal or continental sediments."

Does that explain the idea do you think?

I was wondering whether "de versant" could mean colluvial, but that might be too much interpretation?

Thanks agains!

< Previous | Next >