Continues being

kanu

A few days , In english news paper "Hindustan Times" , there was a Headline.

Mumbai taxi drivers continue being off the road.

I want to ask can we used getting off , remaining off , staying off anyone instead of being off ?

I would go with remaining & staying .

I think getting off will sound as they keep on getting on or off the road.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Would you please explain what the taxi drivers are doing? Are they driving off the road instead of on it? Or have they stopped driving? Or is it some other thing?

The possibilities you suggest would apply to different situations. We need to know what you are describing in order to make a reliable suggestion.

kanu

They are on strike.
    Would you please explain what the taxi drivers are doing? Are they driving off the road instead of on it? Or have they stopped driving? Or is it some other thing?

The possibilities you suggest would apply to different situations. We need to know what you are describing in order to make a reliable suggestion.

Askalon

English (US)
    The original headline sounds rather awkward to me, to the point that I would consider it incorrect (I speak American English though, so it's possible that it sounds better in Indian or British English).

Since this is referring to an ongoing strike, I would say "Mumbai taxi drivers remain off the road". "... stay off the road" also sounds okay to me.

"Mumbai taxi drivers get off the road" doesn't sound okay to me in this situation, since there is no action involved (the drivers are already off the road). You could have maybe used that headline when the strike started, but even then I don't think it would be the best way to phrase it.

kanu

Mumbai taxi drivers continue being off the road on fourth day.
    Does it make sense to you ?
    The original headline sounds rather awkward to me, to the point that I would consider it incorrect (I speak American English though, so it's possible that it sounds better in Indian or British English).

Since this is referring to an ongoing strike, I would say "Mumbai taxi drivers remain off the road". "... stay off the road" also sounds okay to me.

"Mumbai taxi drivers get off the road" doesn't sound okay to me in this situation, since there is no action involved (the drivers are already off the road). You could have maybe used that headline when the strike started, but even then I don't think it would be the best way to phrase it.