contracted and purchased

< Previous | Next >

dudko

Slovak
Hello friends,

I would like to ask you if it is possible to use both words in the following sentence: "Canada contracted the Northwest Territories in the 19th century."
"Canada purchased the Northwest Territories in the 19th century." I am asking this question because I came across it in a test recently given to students in Slovakia. However, there were four options: Canada ......the Northwest Territories in the 19th century."
A) contracted B) purchased C) dealt D) marketed
The correct answer is B.
I have ruled out the options C and D but still both options A and B look fine to me. What do you think of it? Thank you for any contributions in advance.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    "Contract" as a transitive verb is quite rare, and would usually refer to engaging someone or a business for some service: "We have contracted Spit and Polish Ltd to clean the offices". There may be an obsolete use of "contract" that applies in your case, but I cannot really see how "the Northwest Territories" could be the object of the verb.

dudko

Slovak
    "Contract" as a transitive verb is quite rare, and would usually refer to engaging someone or a business for some service: "We have contracted Spit and Polish Ltd to clean the offices". There may be an obsolete use of "contract" that applies in your case, but I cannot really see how "the Northwest Territories" could be the object of the verb.
    Thank you Uncle Jack, what you wrote makes sense to me.

< Previous | Next >