Contracted Translator

< Previous | Next >

ValSky

Banned
SPANISH
Hi, :)

Is it correct to say in English "Contracted Translator"?

I want to say that I was working at that company under contract.

Thank you =o)

• ValSky

Banned
    SPANISH
    Thank you Biblio, actually I don´t have much context because it is for my résumé :)

Thanks again :)

se16teddy

English - England
    In the UK, and certainly also in many other places, there is an important legal distinction between a contract of service, under which someone becomes an employee of, for example, a firm, and a contract for services, under which the supplier provides services but is not an employee.

If the translator's contract with the company is a contract of employment, I would say the translator was an-house translator. I was one of these for five years.

An alternative is that the translator is not employed by any company, and is a freelance translator.

Last edited:

ValSky

Banned
    SPANISH
    Hi again,

Actually I didn´t work in-house so I can´t tell "in-house translator". I signed the contract but I would work from home.

Which one is better to the natives of English "contracted translator" or "hired translator"?

Thank you very much :)

(Sorry Moderator for using Spanish lol)

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Actually, ValSky, "in-house translator" doesn't literally describe a an "on-site" translator, but one who was in some way considered part of the company as opposed to "outside it."

se16teddy

English - England
    Is it correct to say in English "Contracted Translator"?
    I want to say that I was working at that company under contract.
    ValSky, I am still not very clear what you mean by 'contracted'. I think everyone will assume that you are not providing your translations as gifts. Inevitably, then, you will be providing them under some kind of contract. Does 'contracted translator at the firm' add anything at all to 'translator at the firm'?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >