contraction forms of "There are" and "Here are"

wrc

Japanese
Hello, everybody!

:)

I promise this will be the final quesiton I would like to ask here today. I hope you could have a look for me, many thanks!

How do you pronounce "There are" and "Here are" when you are talking in a fast speed way.

Will you contract "There are" to "There're /ðerər/" ? Or will you omit the entire "are", to contract "There are" to "There /ðer/"? Especially when you are speaking in a maximum speed, will you just leave out the whole "are", and then pronounce "There are" as " There" ?

And same way applies to the "Here are", will you contract it to "Here are" to "Here're /hɪrər/", or to "here /hɪr/" directly?

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    In each case, the version you have listed first is often what you hear when people speak quickly.

I would, however, recommend against trying to emulate it (except in the very rare case where you gain something by speaking so fast) and keep the two words distinct and accept the resulting speed!

The second version completely drops the word "are" - not often heard and definitely not to repeat!

wrc

Japanese
    In each case, the version you have listed first is often what you hear when people speak quickly.

I would, however, recommend against trying to emulate it (except in the very rare case where you gain something by speaking so fast) and keep the two words distinct and accept the resulting speed!

The second version completely drops the word "are" - not often heard and definitely not to repeat!

Hi, JulianStuart,

Thank you very much for your reply! I get it now!

:):)

Forero

It is common, when these are allowed to become one syllable, for them to sound like "there's" and "here's" to avoid losing the word are, but this is avoided except in the most informal of settings because it sounds as if the verb is is where are is expected.

< Previous | Next >