contributing editor

Discussion in 'English Only' started by novice_81, Mar 26, 2013.

1. novice_81 Senior Member

Sweden
    German
  2. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    Copied from Wikipedia . . .

A contributing editor is a magazine job title that varies in responsibilities. Most often, a contributing editor is a freelancer who has proven ability and readership draw. The contributing editor regularly contributes articles to the publication but does not actually edit articles. At smaller magazines, the title may imply a staff member with regular writing responsibility and some editorial duties.

When a "contributing editor" is listed on the title page of a book, the term generally designates a person who has served as some kind of consultant in the book's preparation but who is not responsible for the book's final content.

3. novice_81 Senior Member

Sweden
    German
    So it's possible that he was just writing articles for this magazine without editing them probably.
    Ok, thanks.

4. Parla Member Emeritus

New York City
    English - US
    Having served as such several times, I can confirm the description as I've edited it.

I've never seen that on the title page of a book, nor do I know anyone who has had such a title in connection with a book.

5. gramman

gramman Senior Member

I can't remember ever hearing the term used this way, and I expect it's quite unusual, but apparently not unprecedented, as heypresto's Wikipedia reference indicates.

6. Parla Member Emeritus

New York City
    English - US
    That's really unusual, and it appears to be limited to the academic sphere. I've actually edited books in which I've also done part of the writing, and were I to credit that role (which I didn't), I'd have added "and contributing writer" to "editor".