Convenient to or for [me]

Tema en 'English Only' comenzado por yerdua, 29 de Junio de 2007.

1. yerdua New Member

Canada and French
    Hello everyone!

Is it better to say "convenient to me" or "convenient for me"?

Thanks!
    A

2. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    The idiom is "convenient for."

3. MAVERIK

MAVERIK Senior Member

Tuscany
    Italy Italian
    In my opinion " convenient to me" but I am not a native.

4. BoTrojan Senior Member

New Wilmington, PA
    USA, English
    It depends a bit on the context. If you're making a statement about your personal preference around a given outcome, use "for." An example would be: It will be more convenient for me to receive the package at my office." If instead, you are giving an opinion, "to" could work. An example: "To me it would seem more convenient to work from home, but I can understand the need to go to an office ever day." It's a subtle, but material difference in my opinion.

Follow me?

5. samanthalee

samanthalee Senior Member

Singapore
    Mandarin, English - [Singapore]
    So it's "convenient to verb" but "convenient for noun/subject"?

6. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    "Convenient to" is the convention when describing location.

The restaurant was convenient to me. (Nearby or easily accessible.)

7. BoTrojan Senior Member

New Wilmington, PA
    USA, English
    No. It simply depends on whether you want to make a simple declaration of your personal preference in terms of convenience, or whether you're expressing a conditional opinion. In othe words, think "it seems to me," versus "for me." Also, in both of the examples I gave above, an infinitive follows, though in the second example, they are not directly adjacent. The difference is subtle, as I said, and native English speakers will understand you just fine using either one.

8. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    I agree with Packard. Technically it is convenient to a place: There is a branch of the library that is more convenient to me. My apartment is convenient to all transportation.

And convenient for a purpose: Would it be more convenient for you to work at home? That appointment is not convenient for me. I want to make this as convenient for them as possible.

9. yerdua New Member

Canada and French
    Thank you very much for the explanation. It is now clear. You guys gave me more than I expected. What a great forum! Thanks.

10. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    I think in your example, you are using the word "to" because of seem, not because of convenient. "It would seem (harder, easier, more frightening, more convenient, funnier, etc,) to me..."

Comparte esta página

Cargando...