(convertible) sofa bed, sofa sleeper, studio couch

meijin

Japanese
Hi, the following items are all sold as a "sofa bed" in Japan.

I've looked up a few Japanese-English dictionaries and they gave me these English translations:

- sofa bed (same as the Japanese term)
- sofa sleeper
- sleeper sofa
- convertible sofa
- studio couch

I've already read couch, settee, sofa ? and am aware that "sofa" and "couch" (and
"settee") are more or less interchangeable. If so, do those of you who call a sofa a couch also call a sofa bed "a couch bed"?
What are the beds/sofas like the ones above in general called in your country/area?

Example sentence by me:

- Excuse me, where can I find sofa beds? In the bed section or sofa section? (Question at a large department store)

• Copyright

American English
    They're all sofa beds to me, until you get to an actual futon on a frame.

- Excuse me, where can I find sofa beds? In the bed section or sofa section?

meijin

Japanese
    Yes. I wonder why the Japanese-English dictionaries I looked up listed "studio couch", "sleeper sofa", etc.
    Maybe they are (or used to be) used by some people in some English-speaking countries...

lingobingo

English - England
    I’d never heard of “sleeper sofa”. However, it seems it not only exists but is in current use (at least among manufacturers/sellers).

“Studio couch” is understandable, assuming studio means a tiny abode like a bedsit, where you would need to fold your bed away during the day. But it’s rather an unfortunate term, in view of the old expression “the casting couch”, associated with film studios!

Myridon

English - US
    Isn’t that exactly the same as a sofabed (or studio couch), only pulled out ready for use as a bed?
    In the ones pictured in the OP, the back folds flat and you sleep on the same cushions that you sit on. A separate mattress doesn't pull out from beneath the seat cushions.

lingobingo

English - England
    My sofabed is very similar to the one in #10 (though even more substantial). I assumed the other ones pictured worked the same way, though I can now see they probably don’t.

< Previous | Next >