convey

< Previous | Next >

Cubanboy

Spanish
Hi everyone. I'd like to know if I'm using the verb ''convey'' correctly in the following context:

The strength of the strokes on each piece, linked with precise and powerful combination of colors, allows to identify his work while conveying a whole network of sensory references that live inside the artist.

Thanks a lot for your help.

• Cubanboy

Spanish
    "Convey" is fine there.

(There are other mistakes, though, like "allows to identify").
    Would you kindly point out those mistakes?
    Thanks for your help.
    "Allows" needs an object. I imagine the object is the person looking at the picture. Is this person conveying something somewhere?
    ...allows us to identify...
    What about now?
    Thanks for your help.

Edited to add quotation formatting.
    Cagey, moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Yes, 'us' corrects that problem.

The strength of the strokes on each piece, linked with precise and powerful combination of colors, allows us to identify his work while conveying a whole network of sensory references that live inside the artist.

As Teddy suggests, the current construction implies that 'us' are doing the conveying:

allows us to identify his work while conveying a whole network of sensory references that live inside the artist.
    I suggest that you open another thread to ask about this problem, as the discussion of this will be off-topic in this thread, and we have a rule against proofreading.

Cubanboy

Spanish
    Yes, 'us' corrects that problem.

The strength of the strokes on each piece, linked with precise and powerful combination of colors, allows us to identify his work while conveying a whole network of sensory references that live inside the artist.

As Teddy suggests, the current construction implies that 'us' are doing the conveying:

allows us to identify his work while conveying a whole network of sensory references that live inside the artist.
    I suggest that you open another thread to ask about this problem, as the discussion of this will be off-topic in this thread, and we have a rule against proofreading.
    It isn't necessary to open another thread because I understood very well what you all explained to me here. Thank you very much for your help.
    Cheers.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    It isn't necessary to open another thread because I understood very well what you all explained to me here. Thank you very much for your help.
    Cheers.
    Hi Cubanboy.

You might consider opening another thread on whether or not sensory references can live inside artists. I'm not sure that they can.

'Convey' is good in your context.

< Previous | Next >