conveyor belt

< Previous | Next >
  • waytogoal

Portuguese (Brazil) and English
    Good Franco. So if I coud define in one word it could be said like "sale"?
    Thanks.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Apparently teams sell or trade players to other teams. In this country, I don't recall hearing of sales. It's always a trade. But that may be a euphemism. The conveyor belt concept, as Franco says, is that they are processing players as in a factory. "Sale" is not particularly synonymous. It's part of the process.

waytogoal

Portuguese (Brazil) and English
    Oh...Thanks Redwood. "trade" as you said is a good word to convey the meaning with the extra meaning as Franco said.

Thanks man.

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    The point here is that Arsenal are renowned for 'player development', i.e. taking younger players who show potential and then training them up until they are world class. Since Arsenal has a bit of a patchy record in the Premier League, players often leave and join better teams, such as Manchester City. But Arsenal fans like to point out that many of the players in these better teams started out as Arsenal players, whereas clubs who don't invest in player development often produce sub-standard players and then just pay money to buy the biggest name from another country in order to have a good team, which some people view as 'cheating'.

'Conveyor belt' is supposed to show the track record of Arsenal in continually pumping out a large number of great players. You can't really condense it down to one word, but if you could, it would be something like 'amount' or 'supply'.

< Previous | Next >