convivialité / festival pas comme les autres

Surfin'Bird

France - French
Hello everyone,
Here is the sentence I just translated from French:
Passion, convivialité, découverte sont les maîtres mots de ce festival pas comme les autres qui propose une riche sélection de films éclectique et diversifiée.
to English:
Passion, discoveries and unsuperficial get-togetherness are key-words to this festival that looks like no others while offering a wide, eclectic and diversified selection of movies.

How does "this festival that looks like no others" sound to you? Am I going too far with "unsuperficial get-togetherness" for "convivialité"? I have looked up the word and found conviviality, but I am wondering if this is used that much in English...

What do you think?

• "Unsuperficial get-togetherness" does not work here. I would suggest simply "community" instead. I would also change "discoveries" to "discovery." I will also suggest "the themes of this festival" in place of "key-words." It sounds a little better from a marketing prospective which it looks like you are attempting to do with this festival.

My phrase:

Passion, discovery, and community are the themes of this festival unlike any other which offers a wide, eclectic, and diversified selection of movies.

Surfin'Bird

France - French
    Thanks a lot!
    I should have thought of "unlike...". "community" is great too. The whole sentence sounds much better now!
    I'm still curious about "get-togetherness" though.. Is it the kind of expression which is pretty commonplace or is it just plain unusual?

I have never heard of the term "get-togetherness" before. A "get-together" noun can be a type of gathering or informal party. But the term "get-togetherness" sounds just plain strange to me. It could be that it's just not an American term, but I would be very shocked to hear this term used in any English-speaking country.

Wodwo

UK English

Passion, discovery, and community are the themes of this festival unlike any other which offers a wide, eclectic, and diversified selection of movies.
    This works OK, though I wonder about 'community' for conviviality - I think it's maybe more to do with a friendly atmosphere of conversation and interaction. Not easy to translate (which is why I'm checking this thread). That said, and perhaps more importantly, to make a translation really work, to stop it sounding like a translation and say what it has to say clearly, the underlying rhythm needs to be right. This rhythm is a bit clunky. Having tried various things I've also come to the conclusion that an atmosphere can't be a theme, so have ended up with:

This unique festival, with its widely diverse selection of films, is all about passion, discovery and lively conversation.

Way too late for the original poster of course, I'm just having fun and joining in.

< Previous | Next >