Coo, burble, gurgle

< Previous | Next >

Super Saiyan

Cantonese
Hi, I have a question but could be hard to answer, it’s about sound that a baby makes. 1) Can someone tell me the sound difference when a baby is cooing, burbling and gurgling? 2) Are burble and gurgle synonym? I searched on youtube, I saw the parents put a finger in front of a baby horizontally , then move the finger up and down. The title of the video is ‘burbling sound’ but some people use ‘gurgling sound’ so I am confused. Thanks

Coo = quiet sound
Burble = quiet happy sound
Gurgle = quiet happy sound

• lingobingo

English - England
    I suspect this is all rather subjective. The words will mean different things to different people. For me it’s something like this:

To coo, in a baby, is to make goo-goo type sounds that are almost like real words.

To burble is as you describe — making bubbly B-type noises with the lips.

To gurgle is to make a noise at the back of one’s throat (as when gargling with mouthwash).

Super Saiyan

Cantonese
    I suspect this is all rather subjective. The words will mean different things to different people. For me it’s something like this:

To coo, in a baby, is to make goo-goo type sounds that are almost like real words.

To burble is as you describe — making bubbly B-type noises with the lips.

To gurgle is to make a noise at the back of one’s throat (as when gargling with mouthwash).
    Thanks

heypresto

English - England
    They are not precise terms, so they may well overlap, or indeed mean the same thing.

Nobody will correct you if you describe a baby as gurgling and insist that "She's burbling, not gurgling!". :)

< Previous | Next >