cooked pumpkins in stews

< Previous | Next >

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
The Native Americans cooked pumpkins in stews and fed uncooked pieces to their horses.

Does the underlined part means exactly the same as "stewed pumpkins?" Thanks.

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Not quite. It suggests that when other items were stewed (for example, venison, or shellfish, or corn), pieces of pumpkin might also be put in the pot. "Stewed pumpkin" would be a dish made only of pumpkin.

Brioche

Australia English
    A stew is generally a mixture of ingredients, cooked slowly in water.

It's not uncommon to stew just one fruit, stewed apples, for example, but with savoury dishes it's usually a mixture.

Generally people would not say "stewed pumpkin". If you cook pumpkin or squash with onion, celery, carrot and potato, you will have pumpkin or squash soup.

Molot

Hi quietdandelian,

I agree with GWB. The statment says that pumpkin was used as an ingredient in stews in Native American cooking. Further expanding, the statement could also imply that the uncooked pumpkin pieces fed to the horses were the ones that didn't make it into the stewpot. In other words, the raw leftovers.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Hi quietdandelian,

I agree with GWB. The statment says that pumpkin was used as an ingredient in stews in Native American cooking. Further expanding, the statement could also imply that the uncooked pumpkin pieces fed to the horses were the ones that didn't make it into the stewpot. In other words, the raw leftovers.
    Thanks, Molot.
    Do you imply that the raw leftovers are somewhat not as good as those that make it into the stewpot?

Molot

It would be reasonable to think so. I feed my chickens raw pumpkins. They get the rinds, stringy seeds and bruised flesh while I harvest the good flesh and seeds for replanting for myself. Nothing goes to waste, as I am sure Native Americans practiced similar conservation. Of course, in times of plenty, Native Americans may have set aside entire pumpkins exclusively for the horses. For instance, I grow beets both for myself and for my livestock.

< Previous | Next >