Cooked to death

< Previous | Next >

Tostyleun

Kannada - India
"He was cooked to death. "

Does this mean he died because of extreme heat or its the same as boiled to death?

Thank you teachers.

• manfy

German - Austria
    It works.
    That doesn't work well for me - except maybe within a morbidly sarcastic context.
    If a person or an animal is exposed to open flames, be it in an accidental fire or when being burned at the stake, it's most common to say that they were burnt alive.
    However, if a person were attacked with a microwave weapon, which works pretty much the same way as a microwave oven, then it would be very correct to say that he was cooked alive from the inside out.

Does it work if someone dies because of intense heat?
    Not really. A healthy, average adult can take temperatures up to 50-55C without major problems. If it goes much beyond that they'd die of a heat stroke. "Cooking", per se, starts at temperatures above 100C and therefore even the figurative use sounds odd unless they were really exposed to such high temperatures.
    (It does work with the mussels because most people see mussels as food for consumption that is normally cooked - steamed, boiled, fried or barbecued.)

Nickle Sydney

That doesn't work well for me - except maybe within a morbidly sarcastic context.
    If a person or an animal is exposed to open flames, be it in an accidental fire or when being burned at the stake, it's most common to say that they were burnt alive.
    However, if a person were attacked with a microwave weapon, which works pretty much the same way as a microwave oven, then it would be very correct to say that he was cooked alive from the inside out.
    I've not said the sentence works in all situations and it is a good substitute for "to be burnt alive". :rolleyes: But I honestly think t's possible to come up with some pretty morbid contexts where the phrase will work just fine. :rolleyes:

Well, that one scenario with a deadly microwave isn't applicable to real life (surprisingly enough :) ) but if you are writing a sci-fi book... sure, why not?

< Previous | Next >