Cooking <hacks>

prudent260

Chinese
It is a video about smart ideas helping you cook, but the youtuber chose to use "hack"

I still don't know which explanation fits the use of "hack" here after checking the word up in Longman.

Several meaning were listed as follows:
1 a writer who does a lot of low-quality work, especially writing newspaper articles
2 an unimportant politician
3 a way of using a computer to get into someone else’s computer system without their permission
4 (American English) informal a taxi, or a taxi driver
5 an act of hitting something roughly with a cutting tool
6 an old tired horse
7 a horse you can pay money to ride on
8 (British English) a ride on a horse

Can anyone help? Thank you

• Packard

USA, English
    It's none of these. I'd define it as "an improvised method of overcoming a difficulty". Probably derived from the computer usage.

[Cross-posted.]
    I agree. I see it often on Pinterest. This one describes using Ikea furniture as a starting point for interesting effects.

m1517luther

Thai
    Just like a computer hacker use the computer in a way beyond the intention of the computer designers and achieve a "wow" reaction among their fellow computer users, a life hack or whatever skill's hack is to do something which its designer did not expect or design it to be done in such a way and you achieve a "wow" reaction out of it.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "A clever tip or technique for doing or improving something."
    Definition of HACK

It seems to be used more in AE than in BE. In fact, when the British Daily Mail newspaper online has an article on "hacks" that will help you to organise your kitchen cupboards or get rid of household stains, readers often post a comment complaining about their persistent use of this "foreign" term. In BE the usual word is "tips".

lingobingo

English - England
    The OED’s definition no. 7 includes the following:

a. Computing. An inelegant yet effective solution to a computing problem; a workaround, a short cut, a modification.

c. In extended use: any strategy, adaptation, or expedient solution adopted in order to manage one’s time and daily activities in a more efficient way.

(All three examples of the latter are 21st-century, which is most unusual for the OED!)

Packard

USA, English
    I find it very irritating when people say 'hacks' insted of 'tips' but I gather it has become an accepted usage in BE as well.
    It is not the same (my opinion).

The Ikea "hacks" take an existing product and transform them some way to make them more (or less) useful. The "hacks" I've seen are transformations. I suspect that the cooking hacks take an existing recipe and modify them in some way. It is not the same as a "tip" in my opinion.

london calling

UK English
    It is not the same (my opinion).

The Ikea "hacks" take an existing product and transform them some way to make them more (or less) useful. The "hacks" I've seen are transformations. I suspect that the cooking hacks take an existing recipe and modify them in some way. It is not the same as a "tip" in my opinion.
    I agree with you about IKEA hacks and the like but cooking hacks are not, in my opinion, hacks: they are tips.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    I've only recently come across this word (besides the usual contexts) and assumed it meant 'tips'. I had a small bit of rust in my kettle (from not tipping out the left-over water and letting it dry out) and wanted to know how to get rid of it.

Packard

USA, English
    I've only recently come across this word (besides the usual contexts) and assumed it meant 'tips'. I had a small bit of rust in my kettle (from not tipping out the left-over water and letting it dry out) and wanted to know how to get rid of it.
    The Ikea hack I referenced in post #5 is about taking three white Ikea shelving units, mounting them to the wall and trimming them out with molding so as to resemble a custom built in wall cabinet of shelving.

In that case it is more about adapting a stock item can converting it to something else. It is something more than a tip.

So a tip would be to put vinegar and salt in the pot and let it sit to clean out the rust. A hack would be to cut a slot in the tea kettle and turn it into a piggy bank or remove the lid and turn it into a planter, or if it is made from porcelain, electrify it and make it into a hanging lantern (my favorite).

< Previous | Next >