cooking one off [vulgar]

Tintinkerbell

Croatian
Hello!

I couldn't find the meaning of this phrase anywhere.
This is the context:
"Brace is always cooking one off everywhere. Cooking one off since 1983." Another person says to that: "I mean 1967." To which Brace replies: "Your shit is not funny at all."

I found cook-off as a cooking duel, and cooking off as something to do with exploding of the ammunition-both of which are not applicable here.

Thank you

• Tintinkerbell

Croatian
    Well... I'm translating an HBO show called "Gigolos" which is quite vulgar so I couldn't provide you with what was said before this. But basically, five gigolos are discussing on how they like to be pleased by a woman, and after one of them (Brace) said something, the above phrase is Vin's (other gigolo's) comment to what Brace had said. Brace is older that the other two men...so maybe this is why they are mentioning the years...

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Really? I've never heard it, and I've just checked both online and offline BE and AE slang sources, with no results at all. I don't think that "Brace is always having an orgasm everywhere" would make a lot of sense. (I did find one source for "cook off"—not "cook one off"—that had to do with firing a gun repeatedly so that it became too hot to hold. But that doesn't seem to make much sense in this context either.)

stormwreath

English - England
    I did find one source for "cook off"—not "cook one off"—that had to do with firing a gun repeatedly so that it became too hot to hold.
    That's the same meaning as the exploding ammunition one. Firing the gun too often makes it so hot that the bullets inside it might explode from the heat.

The orgasm meaning does seem most likely to me, although I suggest they're talking about the orgasms of Brace's female clients rather than his own. "Brace is always cooking one off everywhere" = "Brace is always bringing a woman to orgasm everywhere".

'Cooking' does imply 'making something feel hot', and then there's an explosion at the end of the process. It's not a standard idiom, but as a metaphor it makes sense.

Man_from_India

Indian English
    As a matter of fact "cook-off" also means "a cooking competition."
    Though this meaning doesn't fit here as well.
    Are you sure you heard it correct?
    Because there is another slang expression "crack one off" that means "to masturbate". (source HERE)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >