Cooking or Cuisine?

Eva Maria

Banned
Catalonia / Spain (Catalan / Spanish)
I'd like to know the difference between a "Cooking Workshop" and a "Cuisine Workshop".

- Cooking Workshop = Does it refer to any kind of "cooking" or could it be "high cooking", too?

- Cuisine Workshop = Saying it in French, does it convey the impression that we're talking about "high cooking" and not just "cooking"? Or does this "cuisine" refer to a particular "cooking" (French, Italian, Chinese...)?

EM

• Haylette

UK, English
    "Cuisine" in general implies that it is high quality cooking,
    but italian/french/chinese etc cuisine just refers to the style of cooking.

river

U.S. English
    "Cuisine" simply means "style of cooking." So you can't have a cuisine workshop. You must identify the style - Mexican cuisine workshop or French cuisine workshop, for example.

Eva Maria

Banned
    "Cuisine" in general implies that it is high quality cooking,
    but italian/french/chinese etc cuisine just refers to the style of cooking.
    Haylette,

Thanks for your comments!

After reading your answer I was tempted to put "Cuisine Workshop", but I happened to read River's answer here below:

river said:
    "Cuisine" simply means "style of cooking." So you can't have a cuisine workshop. You must identify the style - Mexican cuisine workshop or French cuisine workshop, for example.
    River,

I thought I'd seen "Cuisine Workshop" by itself somewhere.

Then I'll use "Cooking Workshop", just generic, which can fit with everything.

Thanks for your useful information!

EM

Packard

USA, English
    In my opinion, "cooking" is a process; "cuisine" is a product.

A "cooking" workshop would be about the process of cooking. That is, a "how-to-cook class".

A "cuisine" workshop would be about the food itself. It could be a historical workshop, or a comparative tasting class. It would not necessarily be about the preparation and cooking of the food.

Eva Maria

Banned
    In my opinion, "cooking" is a process; "cuisine" is a product.

A "cooking" workshop would be about the process of cooking. That is, a "how-to-cook class".

A "cuisine" workshop would be about the food itself. It could be a historical workshop, or a comparative tasting class. It would not necessarily be about the preparation and cooking of the food.
    Packard,

Interesting indeed! I didn't realize this other subtle difference between them.

Thanks for your clear explanation!

EM

Haylette

UK, English
    Cooking isn't always just the process.

For example, "I like my mum's cooking" = "I like the things my mum cooks"

Packard

USA, English
    As long as we are on the subject, "cuisine", in my opinion, when used in the English language should refer to French cooking only.

If you are using "cuisine" in French, then for any kind of cooking.

Packard

USA, English
    Cooking isn't always just the process.

For example, "I like my mum's cooking" = "I like the things my mum cooks"

Yes, I agree.

A "cooking workshop" could be a "food" workshop; but it does not sound that way to me.

An "Art" workshop could be either too; but in that case, I clearly hear that it is either.

< Previous | Next >