Cool

< Previous | Next >

123xyz

Macedonian
How do you say "cool" in Turkish, in the slang sense, as used among teenagers, e.g. to say "a cool guy", "a cool car", and the like? I've found words like "harika" and "süper", but they don't seem quite right, meaning "great" and "super" rather than "cool" respectively - I suppose there's something else.

Thank you in advance

• Rallino

Moderatoúrkos
    Turkish
    I, personally, use kral or klas.
    Kral adam, klas araba.

But that's just me. This is one of those concepts which everybody has their own vocabulary for. So you might want to wait and see what others will say.

Last edited:

adelan

Turkish
    Actually it is also used in Turkish as it is, like "çok cool bir mekan", "cool bir adam". I don't know how to write it in Turkish since you only may hear it in daily spoken language.

I still prefer "süper" though :). It surely depends on region age etc, but you will most likely hear "iyi" "güzel" as "cool".

123xyz

Macedonian
    Thank you for the replies. I have a follow-up question about "klas", though; it doesn't bear the connotations of English "classy", does it?

Adelan, I hate English loanwords in any language, so I don't find "cool" to be a very useful translation of "cool" :D

adelan

Turkish
    I didn't suggest "cool" as a translation of "cool" :), I tried to inform you that you might hear it since people using it in spoken.

You hate loanwords, i can understand that, while you are asking "klas" as a Turkish word? :)

Rallino

Moderatoúrkos
    Turkish
    Klas can mean classy, but it doesn't belong to the same register, I don't think. Klas sounds too colloquial to my ears.

popayed

Turkish
    You can use "on numara" instead cool.I have never heard cool used in turkish. May hipsters uses it "cool"in turkish but I have never met one of them.

On numara arabaymış
    On numara adam,
    On numara kız

Black4blue

Turkish/Türkçe
    Sometimes "cool" is used in the meaning of "calm, cold (someone who doesn't react much or show emotions)". In that meaning, I don't think the suggestions above are suitable. For that meaning, I would say "cool". :)

Last edited:

FlyingBird

Macedonian
    some more example

o çok komik bir adam
    o insanı eğlendirebilecek bir adamdır
    sen eğlenceli birisin
    sen insanı eğlendiren birisin

123xyz

Macedonian
    Thank you for the additional replies.

Adelan, I wasn't asking about "klas" with the intention of using it; I was just curious, whereas I'd already dismissed along with "kral", "süper", and all the rest except "sağlam", which is actually Turkish
    Black4blue, wouldn't you say "soğukkanlı" or other analogous terms for the second sense you're referring to?
    FlyingBird, it appears that your proposed examples are fully irrelevant, as I wasn't looking for words to express the meanings of "funny, comical" (komik) or "entertaining, amusing" (eğlenceli), but for "cool"; cf. Macedonian "смешен" and "забавен" with "јак" and "ѕверски" - not very related in meaning at all, I daresay.

FlyingBird

Macedonian
    There is no correct translation for cool in turkish.
    Turkish is different than english, and there is many words that cannot be translated literally and you should know that ;)

Black4blue

Turkish/Türkçe
    Black4blue, wouldn't you say "soğukkanlı" or other analogous terms for the second sense you're referring to?
    No, I wouldn't. Because "soğukkanlı" means a person who can stay calm in an unwanted situation when others people panic. We don't use "soğukkanlı" for a person who is always calm and unemotional ordinarily. And especially young people use the word "cool" for it.

AussieTurk

English&Turkish
    there are a lot of slang terms in Turkish that you could use in place of "cool" and they would totally suffice as other posters have added above. but the closest term that I feel would be accurate without using "street slang" would be mükemmel

< Previous | Next >