coolness fallacy

moura

Portuguese Portugal
Hi

I am not managing to find a synonym, or at least to understand this expression - coolness fallacy.
It is referred in a text as one of the wrong ideas people have, regarding technology versus its produts.

I would thank your help

• moura

Portuguese Portugal
    Hi Confused Linguist,

Thank you for yr interest.

This is the title of a small dissertation giving the reasons for the existence of this "fallacy".
    I’m sorry I can’t transcribe the all paragraph, but I try to pick some highlights:

“Consider a CD – nearly a gigabyte of information on a disc costing pennies. (…)We’re justifiable impressed by these amazing achievements, but let’s see (them) for what they are. A technology might be revolutionary, but the product built from that technology won’t necessary be. (…) Keep blinders on to the marvels of the technology and remain objective about the benefits of the product.”

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    The coolness fallacy seems to refer to the fact that just because something is novel and revolutionary, that doesn't mean it is any use.

moura

Portuguese Portugal
    Thank you, Maxiogee.

I think the author's idea is to point out the difference between a technology (which is "revolutionary") and its derivated product (which may be usefull, but is not "revolutionary"".

So he ends saying "Keep blinders on to the marvels of the technology and remain objective about the benefits of the product".
    What I could make of this is that "we" tend to characterize a simple product with the marvellness of the invention from where it was born - and that's were the fallacy is.

But, if my interpretation is correct, I can't in abstract find a meaning for this word "coolness". Hyperqualification? What a word... :rolleyes:

Confused Linguist

English & Bengali
    I agree with Maxiogee. Coolness fallacy does seem to refer to the fact that the true worth of a novel product or technology is determined by its usefulness.

Being cool means you own all the latest stuff. Coolness fallacy probably means buying things that are of no use to you or anybody else.

moura

Portuguese Portugal
    Thanks again Confused Linguist,

"Coolness" int this case may be something related to coolness, equanimity, when regarding this kind of techonologies/produtcs.

I think I may find the right synonymous starting from this.

kind regards
    moura

Kelly B

USA English
    Coolness, to me, is how "cool" the item is, in the slangy sense of the word. It means "neat, amazing, impressive" - makes you say "wow." Let's see... definition C.2 on-site - fashionable and attractive. Well, sort of. It can be used as an interjection.
    -How do you like my new latest-and-greatest-high-tech-toy? (the coolness fallacy: this thing is not really very useful.)
    -Wow! Cool!

moura

Portuguese Portugal
    Thank you KellyB. The first idea I had about the sense of "coolness", without seeing in dict. was in fact sense of cool (enthusiasm, something fantastic, pyramidal, etc.) But "coolness" also in dict. is the right oposite sense (calmly seeing, coldness).
    I must admit that, since its is a "fallacy" ,the best logic sense would be the opposite of the meanings to "coolness" - which are in fact the "cool" senses.
    So I am ballanced between two opposites - but till the end of the day I'm certain that I'll decide :)

moura

Portuguese Portugal
    Thank you, River
    I gave already a brief look at the page and it appears a good explanation about the issue "cool". I'll read it more carefully later, for a conclusion about the better term to translate this.
    kind regards
    moura

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    The formal name for this fallacy is the Argumentum ad Populum, and I thank you for providing me an occasion to put up the link to a logical-fallacy site everyone should have handy in the appropriate "favorites" or "bookmarks" folder. Please do yourselves a favor and give it a browse.

moura

Portuguese Portugal
    Thank you Foxfirebrand,

Interesting site. It's good when doubts origin some new knowledge.
    kind regards
    moura

< Previous | Next >