cooperation <in or on>

< Previous | Next >

RajuMV

Malayalam
Friends, a sentence is reproduced here, which is from an article A meeting to watch published in The Hindu daily dated 29-09-2014: During the meeting, the two Prime ministers will speak about improving bilateral ties and bilateral trade, estimated at $6 billion at present, on a range of issues from cooperation in agriculture to cooperation on anti-terror technology.
can we use cooperation on agriculture and cooperation in anti-terror technology? If not, why? please clarify.
Thanks a lot in anticipation:)

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    the two Prime ministers will speak about improving bilateral ties and bilateral trade, estimated at $6 billion at present, on a range of issues from cooperation in agriculture to cooperation on anti-terror technology.
    can we use cooperation on agriculture and cooperation in anti-terror technology?
    There is some latitude depending upon what you think has been omitted:

"In" tends to be more practical, on tends to be more theoretical/developmental/research orientated, etc.

"on a range of issues from cooperation in [the field of] agriculture to cooperation on [the subject of] anti-terror technology."

We cooperate in an area in general (i.e. within/inside the area of agriculture, which is broad) but on the subject of something

"They discussed cooperation in metallurgy and on the new aircraft's design."

kuckunniwi

English, Spanish, Catalan & Gibberish
    There is some latitude depending upon what you think has been omitted:

"In" tends to be more practical, on tends to be more theoretical/developmental/research orientated, etc.

"on a range of issues from cooperation in [the field of] agriculture to cooperation on [the subject of] anti-terror technology."

We cooperate in an area in general (i.e. within/inside the area of agriculture, which is broad) but on the subject of something

"They discussed cooperation in metallurgy and on the new aircraft's design."
    So, we seek seek cooperation in this field and on these matters, for instance?

SReynolds

Hungarian
    Not necessarily. For example, in the sentence

Thank you for your cooperation __ this matter,

I'd use in, with, regarding, concerning but definitely not on. The reason is beyond me, though, and it might come down to a personal preference.

< Previous | Next >