1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

coorying up [courie / coorie]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Paulfromitaly, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Hello,

http://www.allbusiness.com/science-technology/earth-atmospheric-science/13322249-1.html

This article was written by a Scottish journalist.

I remember some Scottish friends of mine use the verb "to coory" as a synonym of "to cuddle", but I guess it has to have some other meanings too..
    What does "coorying up to" exactly mean in this context?

Thank you

2. Bobbum Senior Member

It sounds intriguingly like to curry favor with.

3. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Coorie is the old Scots word for cuddle or snuggle and these fleece pouch slings are perfect to snuggle up with your little one. Available in five sizes, they are worn diagonally across the body and baby sits in the pouch in front.
    Source

I didn't find it in my Scots dictionary, but this sounds plausible just the same.

4. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Thank you, that's most definitely the correct interpretation, although I'm quite sure "to coory" also means to cuddle in Scottish, whereas "to curry" doesn't have that meaning.
    Thanks. I didn't think it could be spelt "to coorie".
    Isn't the use of "to coorie" in that context a little unusual?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  5. Szkot Senior Member

Edinburgh
    UK English
    A similar English idiom is to 'cosy up' to somebody. This verse shows two meanings of the word - to cower/crouch and to to cuddle/snuggle.

Your daddy coories doon, my darling, / Doon in a three foot seam, / So you can coorie doon my darling, / Coorie doon and dream. (Source)

6. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Thank you.
    I remember hearing my Scottish mates use that term in conversation, but I thought it was one those Scottish words people would only use colloquially.
    Since you're from Edinburgh, could you tell me if Scots often say coorie when English people for example would say snuggle/cuddle?

7. Kitten heels New Member

English
    Coorie is used regularly in Scotland, it means to snuggle or cosy into (or up to) something. Usually it's a sign of love and affection; that one person is warm and cosy with an invitation to join them and share it or vice versa. The article is asking if Scotland can really be so independent if it's spending so much time getting cosy with outside agencies.

8. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Thank you. That's exactly how my friends used this expression :)