spanish
    Moderator note:
    Threads merged

When you said: Ma copine

are you refering to "my girlfriend" or just "my friend"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2010
  2. polaire Senior Member

English, United States
    Wait for the native speakers, but I think it depends on the context.

3. Fred_C

Fred_C Senior Member

France
    Français
    I thought in english, "girl friend" did not necessarily mean "lover", and could also mean a friend which happens to be a girl.
    Am I wrong ?

4. lucy512 New Member

marseille
    FRENCH
    quand tu dis "ma copine" c que tu parles de ta petite copine (girlfriend),
    Si tu veux parler d'une amie , tu diras "une copine" (friend).

5. Old Novice

Old Novice Senior Member

Massachusetts
    USA, English
    That's generally right. Between females, "girl friend" ordinarily signifies a closer-than-average female friend. Females may have multiple girl friends. For a male, "girl friend" ordinarily signifies a romantic attachment, and there is frequently trouble if he has more than one. That attachment may or may not extend to their being lovers (i.e., sexually intimate).

Edit: Sorry, I meant to quote Fred C's message here, to which this responds.

6. HecateTs Member

France
    Français
    Copine is strange
    You can understand it as "girlfriend" or "a friend (not as close as an "ami(e)(s)")"
    You have copine/amie for "friend"
    And copine/petit amie for "girlfriend"
    When you say "copine" for a girl friend it could seem that she "just your girlfriend" or "a girlfriend" (and tomorow youmight have another) whereas "petite amie" sounds as something more... permanent ? sure ?

Moderator's note: this thread is a split from a thread that is now outside the scope of the forum...

7. Franglais1969

Franglais1969 Senior Member

Angleterre.
    English English, français rouillé
    Bon.

Je comprends.

Merci, Hecate. :)

8. Canadian-Frenchie Member

Canada, Ontario
    Canada, English
    that is what I learned in school, that girlfriend (as in the girl you like and are going out with) is petite amie, and boyfriend is petit ami. which is weird cause if you literally translate it says little friend lol

9. Blancheneige

Blancheneige Senior Member

Lac Léman, Switzerland
    Switzerland - French
    Today, using "petite amie" et "petit ami" to describe the girl/boy you are going out with would have teenagers roaring with laughter, because it sounds very 1960's.
    As HecateTS said, copine is a strange word:
    Je vais manger avec une copine = I'm eating out with a female friend.
    Je vais manger avec ma copine = I'm eating out with my girlfriend.

10. zaitzeff Banned

English
    Suppose a guy has one or more female friends, and they are affectionate friends in that they would hug and kiss in greeting, but they are not boyfriend-girlfriend or lovers per se.

Is there a word in French that would describe this friend?

That is, a person who is not-quite or not-yet a girlfriend, but who is more friendly or more affectionate than ordinary friends, by the usual meaning of friend in the USA?

and if there is, what is the masculine form, also?

thanks.

11. doinel

doinel Senior Member

Southern France
    France French
    Copine/ copain.
    Amie/ Ami.
    They could be just friends or not - yet girl/boyfriend.
    I'm sure there's another thread about "friends" on the WRF.

12. Lacuzon

Lacuzon Senior Member

France
    French - France
    Hi,

I wouls say un très bon ami/Une très bonne amie if there is some or un meilleur ami/une meilleure amie if there is only one or a few

It could also be un /une camarade, un/une complice or un compère or un confident/une confidente (probably the best in your case I think)

13. NemoNobody

NemoNobody Senior Member

France métropolitaine
    French - France
    In French, word "friend" tends to have a stronger meaning than in US english (somewhat like "close friend").

The colloquial equivalent of friend in the US sense would be "copain/copine" which is somewhat broad in meaning. "Un copain d'école" : "a school mate", "un copain de régiment" : "a military (?) pal".

But, when used in singular long with a possessive pronoun, it usually have the meaning of "girl/boy friend".
    Eg, "sa copine" : "his girl friend", etc.

Of course, "c'est son amie" also usually means "she's his girl friend": the whole thing is in the singular ...

In short, "copain/copine" is probably the closest translation, but it can also mean "girl/boy friend" ...

14. homerpower New Member

French - Québec
    you have to use ami\amie, even if it's a close friend. Une bonne amie\un bon ami or une amie proche\un ami proche refers more to a long time friend that you've had for a long time.

15. zaitzeff Banned

English
    So, the female friend of a "friendship-with-kissing" can be described by
    mon amie, ma copine and ma confidente, about equally as well?

when I was thinking of this, I wasn't thinking of using copine, because, if I said of someone, She is my copine or Elle est ma copine, that would tend to automatically mean girlfriend, and that isn't correctly for this.

Does it work to say
    She is my copine Rania, and by adding the name at the end, that implies that there are others?

Or, would one tend to say, She is one of my copines?

16. homerpower New Member

French - Québec
    copine is confusing, adding the name doesn't change anything
    but your relationship sounds confusing too..... you make out with your friend but she's not your girlfriend? ;)

17. NemoNobody

NemoNobody Senior Member

France métropolitaine
    French - France
    "mon amie, ma copine and ma confidente, about equally as well?"

"ma confidente" is somewhat literary/old fashioned.

When you want to say that a girl is your friend but not your girl friend, you say something like :

"C'est une copine"

implicitly "among others", that is not your special girl/boy friend...

18. zaitzeff Banned

English
    my relationships aren't confusing to us. 3 of these copines have boyfriends who are not me. You suggest that we shouldn't kiss in greeting?

19. homerpower New Member

French - Québec
    of course you can, it's just that you were saying ''not-yet a girlfriend'' in your first post that's all