Copyright

< Previous | Next >
  • Chevere33

English, midwestern US
    "He has two copyrights."

If you are asking if there is a plural and if it's "copyrights", the answer is yes in this case. It is countable if you have, say, one for a book and one for a poem or even one for two different books.

BUTTTTT....since it can also be used as an uncountable noun, you'd be better off listing a concrete example OR doing a search for yourself, to find out the difference.

Coffeemachtspass

English - U.S.
    Copyright is a separate legal area from trademarks.
    Couldn’t that have also been: “Copywrites are a separate legal area from trademarks.”?

The non-countable form isn’t striking my ear very naturally.

[edit] Admittedly, I'm not a lawyer, much less a copywriter lawyer, so I may not be in the know regarding their lingo.

Last edited:

gengo

American English
    Couldn’t that have also been: “Copywrites are a separate legal area from trademarks.”?

The non-countable form isn’t striking my ear very naturally.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. To me, that example (in the uncountable form) sounds almost as bad as "Cat is a separate veterinarian area from dog."

The Newt

English - US
    Couldn’t that have also been: “Copyrights are a separate legal area from trademarks.”?
    [...]
    No, although we might say "copyrights are a separate issue from reprint rights."

But there are entire legal textbooks specifically devoted to the (uncountable) subject of "copyright." I don't see any objection to it at all.

< Previous | Next >