Cordon bleu

Chefdaniel

English
I was wondering if you can tell me what "Le Cordon Bleu" means in english or what the actual english translation is. All I have found is it means "the blue cord." Any help would be great. Thanks.

• zmarianne

french
    If it's a person, it's somebody who can cook very well, not professionally. You would say that from your mother or friend.
    I don't know where that comes from though.

If it's a thing, it's breaded ham with cheese inside.

charlie2

I found this. It seems that at first it was a blue ribbon and then it became the name of some really exquisite banquets of certain knights and now it is the name of a group of cooking schools.

Bunnicula

USA English
    Le Cordon Bleu refers to the blue ribbon used by the Order du Saint-Esprit (founded by François 1er, I think). The Order was established to compete with the Order of the Garder & the Order of the Golden Fleece. From the ribbon was suspended a medallion of the dove of the Holy Spirit descending upon a gothic cross. The Order was restricted to the very wealthiest & best connected in the nobility and became associated with sumptuous food, drink & clothing. The cooking school open in 1895. It continues to operate in Paris and (since abou 1990) 10-15 other cities around the world. It is owned by the Cointreau family, as in the orange liquer.

MarieJulez28

England English
    Hi,

Could anyone help me understand this sentence?

"Elle n'a rien d'un cordon-bleu" :- I guess that it means "She is no expert" but I am unsure.

Thanks for any help x

Last edited by a moderator:

jcareen

English
    Does anyone know the translation for "un véritable cordon bleu"? Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Just to add to the previous explanations, "cordon bleu" is actually used as-is in English, so there isn't a specific translation, although "gourmet cook" conveys the correct meaning. So you might actually say
    She's no cordon bleu chef
    A real cordon bleu cook
    etc

< Previous | Next >