'corporate' as a verb?

Strider

England, English
Hello everyone,

I was reading a document today that uses the word 'corporate' as a verb. At first, I thought it was a mistake, the word should be 'incorporate' but it appeared twice which makes me think it was used on purpose. However, I can't find a reference in the Wordreference dictionary (nor at dictionary.com or at Websters)

What does it mean?

For context, here are the sentences:

- This is due to the difficulty of calibrating these techniques to corporate risk data.

- More quantitative techniques (which can be more easily calibrated to corporate risk criteria) can yield significantly lower requirements.

• judkinsc

English, USA
    Sounds ridiculous.

It would mean the same thing as "incorporate" anyway, and make no sense.

"incorporate" = literally, the act of bringing "somethings" together into a body/mass." From Latin's incorporo, incoporare, incoporavi, incorporatum.

Without the "in", the verb would have no sense of transitive motion, or of gathering objects together into a body.

Ridiculous!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Corporate is an adjective in these examples. The data relate to corporate risk, they are corporate risk data.

Corporate risks are the kind of risks that corporate risk management addresses.
    CHECK THIS LINK for example

panjandrum said:
    Corporate is an adjective in these examples. The data relate to corporate risk, they are corporate risk data.
    Oh, you're pretty good there, panj. You're absolutely right. But I didn't see it when I read the sentence myself, I figured it was a mistake. Maybe the sentence structure is a little mis-leading, but it is definitely an adjective!

Strider

England, English
    Panjandrum - of course! Now I see it!

(I'll go take a seat at the back of the class and read a dictionary for the rest of the afternoon) :eek:

Natamex

Spanish, Belgium
    judkinsc said:
    Oh well. I had a lot of fun saying "Ridiculous!" like that. I'm practicing for when I'm old and crochety. :D

Ja ja ja!!!! Thanks for this dialogue, you were all great
    and I learned something else.

Like "grumpy"... Like an old man who, as soon as he hears some new idea, starts shouting "Ridiculous! Ridiculous! D@mn kids theses days, don't even know how to use the English language anymore...".

I got a good laugh out of judkinsc's post, too, because my first response, which I did not post, was basically the same thing: "That's just nonsense, never heard of such a word!". I'm older than jud, I've had time to practice the crochety thing...

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Welcome to WordReference Natamex:)

Not all threads are quite as entertaining as this one.

It is worth noting the way people here are quick to acknowledge, and laugh at, their own misunderstandings.
    It happens to all of us now and again - part of the learning process.

<<Mod Edited edit:
    Normally, we try to keep to one topic in a thread - so the discussion on crotchety should be in a thread of its own. But I guess we have it sorted out now so that should be OK (I hope).
    Further conversation on crotchety would mean I'd have to split the thread and I've left the thread-splitter in the workshop.........

OK, crotchety is too good a topic to languish here.

stomp, stomp, stomp ...... bang ........ stomp, stomp, stomp

A new thread has been created from the ribs of this one.
    All allusions to crochet are deliberate.
    But please post crotchety comments on the CROTCHETY THREAD >>

Natamex

Spanish, Belgium
    Thank you very much. I'm afraid I will be connected quite often, I think this forums are great.
    Thanks Pajandrum

panjandrum said:
    Welcome to WordReference Natamex:)

Not all threads are quite as entertaining as this one.

It is worth noting the way people here are quick to acknowledge, and laugh at, their own misunderstandings.
    It happens to all of us now and again - part of the learning process.

<<Mod Edit:
    Normally, we try to keep to one topic in a thread - so the discussion on crotchety should be in a thread of its own. But I guess we have it sorted out now so that should be OK (I hope). Further conversation on crotchety would mean I'd have to split the thread and I've left the thread-splitter in the workshop.........
    stomp, stomp, stomp ...... bang ........ stomp, stomp, stomp

OK, crotchety is too good a topic to languish here.
    A new thread has been created from the ribs of this one.
    All allusions to crochet are deliberate.
    But please post crotchety comments on the CROTCHETY THREAD.
    Be patient please. >>

< Previous | Next >