corporate equivalent

ilp0000

Japanese
A corporate equivalent is a term in finance, but in the sentence below, it isn't any related to the finance. What is missing, and how are the corporate and equivalent related?

The company has used this approach to coax employees into the corporate equivalent of eating their vegetables, prodding them to save more for retirement, waste less food at the cafeteria and opt for healthier snacks.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Where is the quote from, and what is the previous sentence that describes "this approach"?

Coaxing young children into eating their vegetables is a familiar situation for most parents. Eating vegetables is good for children, but many of them don't want to do it.

The writer appears to be using this domestic situation as an analogy for a company (hence "corporate") trying to persuade its employees into saving more for retirement, wasting less food at the cafeteria and opting for healthier snacks, but I find it difficult to see how wasting less food fits into the pattern; it would make more sense to me if the sentence ended after "retirement": saving for retirement is a good thing for people to do, but many people aren't interested in doing it, and need some coaxing.

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    A diamond is the best gem.
    A rose is the best flower.
    A rose is the floral equivalent of a diamond. In the world of flowers - the floral world, the rose is equivalent to a diamond in the gem world.

In the world of companies, the corporate world - those things are the equivalent of "eating your vegetables" in the parent-child relationship world.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Definitely informal. The word "prodding" is rather a giveaway in that respect. The direct allusion to bringing up children is also not something I would expect in a formal situation.

< Previous | Next >