Corporate = Headquarters?

singsing

Korean
Hello,
I enjoy watching an American comedy series, "The Office", and I have a question about the word "Corporate".

The main character is the regional manager of the Scranton, PA branch of a paper company. There are many other branches such as Nashua branch, Utica branch, etc. And they always refer to the company's head office(I think) in New York as "Corporate" (no article).

It seems to be the company's headquarters, but I don't know why they refer to it as corporate, not headquarters/main office/ head office. ?

I looked it up in the dictionary and I don't see any definition of corporate that is similar to headquarters... Is it commonly used like that? or does it mean something else?

Thank you in advance. =)

• Sharifa345

USA
    US English, DR Spanish
    First of all... Love. That. Show!

But more importantly, they use them interchangeably, because they could just as easily say "Corporate Headquarters," but it is faster to just say "Corporate."

singsing

Korean
    First of all... Love. That. Show!

But more importantly, they use them interchangeably, because they could just as easily say "Corporate Headquarters," but it is faster to just say "Corporate."
    Haha, I do too! :D

So it does mean headquarters..I see. Thank you so much! :)

< Previous | Next >